Calculating playlist sizes
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: After searching for an hour or so, I can’t seem to find out how to PREVIEW the amount of space required by selected playlists that I want to transfer to my iPod. iTunes 8 only looks at available space AFTER I try to sync, at which point it tells me that I do not have enough space and refuses to sync. Is there a way I can find out how much space my selected playlists are going to take up before I try to sync my iPod? Any help would be appreciated!
A: iTunes will show you total size of items in a given selection at the bottom of the iTunes window, so if you select a specific playlist, the total size of the items in that particular playlist is shown.
To add up the size of several playlists, simply use a folder in iTunes to group them together into a single folder. You can do this by selecting File, New Playlist Folder from the iTunes menu, and then dragging the playlists into that folder.
Once all the playlists are grouped together, selecting the top-level folder will show an aggregate listing of all of the tracks contained in all of the playlists within that folder, with a summary of the total size of all of the displayed items at the bottom of the iTunes window.
Note that this total size will only sum up unique items, so if you have the same song in multiple playlists, it is only counted once, which will yield more accurate results than simply adding each of the individual playlist sizes together.
As an added bonus, once you’ve grouped your playlists into a single folder, you may find it much easier to manage those playlists for synchronization to your iPod, as you can simply select the entire folder for synchronization.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iDevices adds dynamic automation, enhanced scheduling to ‘Connected’ app for HomeKit
- Apple reports that iOS 10.2.1 significantly reduces unexpected iPhone 6s shutdown issues
- Mobiata announces sunset of FlightTrack 5 and FlightBoard apps
- Harman announces first Wireless CarPlay implementation
- Report: Apple still considering several possible wireless charging solutions for ‘iPhone 8’
- Mini Metro adds Endless Mode
- Apple issues statement opposing Trump administration’s rescission of transgender rights
- ResearchKit study conducted using Apple Watch reveals new insights into seizures
- Instagram adds ability to include up to 10 photos or videos in a single post
- Facebook’s talks with MLB raise possibility that game streams could come to Apple TV
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10