Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Ever since I upgraded to iOS 8, my iPhone keeps popping up icons in the bottom left corner of the lock screen whenever I’m out. Things like Starbucks, the Apple Store, and my local supermarket’s app keep coming up. I know it’s a small thing, but I’m left handed and I’ve swiped them by mistake a couple of times when I take my iPhone out of my purse, and it’s a pain to be taken into an app I don’t want to use. Sometimes I’ll even see an icon that I don’t recognize, and when I opened one of those it took me to the App Store instead, which was even crazier. My boyfriend said turning off location services should get rid of these, as they seem to be based on the iPhone being near these stores, but I don’t know if I want to go that far. Any ideas?
A: Your boyfriend is correct that these are suggested apps based on location. If you want to get rid of these entirely, that’s easily done by going into your Settings app and choosing Handoff & Suggested Apps from the General section.
There are two settings here that you can switch off depending on what you want to see show up. Turning them both off is probably what you want here, as it will get rid of the icons entirely. If you prefer, however, you can leave the setting on for apps that are installed on your device while leaving App Store recommendations out of the mix, or you can do the opposite and turn off suggestions for your own apps, and only see available apps that you haven’t already installed.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- MLB.com At Bat and NHL now allow users to personalize Home Screen icons
- Apple pulls over-the-air iOS 10.3 update for iPhone 5, 5c; iOS 10.3.2 seems to end support for them
- Supplier Responsibility Report, recent hires hint at Project Titan research
- Apple now rejecting apps with references to price in their name
- Apple Pay now live in Taiwan
- Apple releases iOS 10.3.2 beta to developers
- Rumor: Apple may add cellular capability to next Apple Watch, create USB-C/Lightning hybrid
- Urbanears launches new lineup of Wi-Fi Connected Speakers
- Apple adds ability for developers respond to apps reviews, tweaks in-app rating prompt rules
- Report: 10.5” iPad Pro could still arrive this spring
- AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon Headphones
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Pioneer Rayz Plus Lightning Connector Earphones
- BEEM United BeMe D200 Lightning Connector Earphones
- Jam Audio JAM Xterior Max Rugged Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- HiFiMAN Edition S Headphones
- Divoom Timebox Mini Bluetooth Speaker
- iClever BoostSound BTS-09 Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10