Cannot create new events in iOS Calendar
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: When my e-mail was hacked and I had to change my password, the + button on my iPhone Calendar app disappeared and now I cannot create events. Also when I go to Settings, Calendars there are two lines missing—there is no line regarding syncing. Can you help with this issue?
A: If you’re using an online calendar service such as iCloud, Exchange, or another CalDAV server you’ll want to ensure that this is still properly configured and enabled on your iPhone, either directly under the iCloud settings or in the Mail, Contacts, Calendars section under whatever specific Calendar service account you’re using (e.g. Gmail or another CalDAV service). On this screen, “Calendars” should appear in the smaller print beneath the account name for any account that have Calendar synchronization enabled.
If your calendar service doesn’t appear in this list at all, it’s also possible that it may have been deleted entirely and you’ll need to re-add it by selecting the “Add Account” option. Further, if your calendar service is tied to your e-mail account, but is listed as a separate service, you may have to change the password here as well before your calendars will sync properly.
The two lines that are most likely missing from your Calendar settings are the Sync and Default Calendar options. Sync only appears when you’re using an online Calendar service, and Default Calendar only appears when you have more than one Calendar defined. Similarly, the + button only appears in the Calendars app if you actually have a writable calendar available.
If your calendars are properly enabled in the Mail, Contacts, Calendars section and still aren’t appearing within the actual iOS Calendars app, confirm that your password is still correct, and then try toggling the “Calendars” option OFF and back ON again. This may sometimes be required to force a resync of your calendar data from an online iCloud/CalDAV or Exchange server back to your iPhone.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Spotify penalizing artists who release Apple Music exclusives [Update: Spotify responds]
- Apple releases new round of iOS 10 and tvOS 10 betas
- Report: 2017 iPhone to eliminate home button
- Apple to add payment technology to iPhone for transit passes, Apple Pay in Japan
- Apple releases iOS 9.3.5 ‘security update’
- Report: Apple developing its own Snapchat-style social video editing iOS app
- Apple announces Apple Music Festival lineup including Alicia Keys, Britney Spears + more
- Universal calls an end to exclusives amid criticisms that Apple Music is hurting the industry
- Apple reveals some of its upcoming AI advancements for the iPhone
- Apple Music’s royalty rates complicate Spotify’s contract negotiations
- Western Digital My Cloud (OS 3)
- Distil Union Stanley Stand
- Philips Sonicare FlexCare Platinum Connected Bluetooth Toothbrush
- Audeze EL-8 Titanium Over-Ear Headphones
- Defined Corp Dome Stand for Apple Watch and iPhone
- Speck StyleFolio Pencil for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Audeze Sine On-Ear Headphone
- First Alert Onelink Wi-Fi Smoke + Carbon Monoxide Alarm
- Logitech Create 9.7” iPad Pro Keyboard Case
- iDevices Outdoor Switch Power Outlet
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app