Can’t restore iPod touch without passcode
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have recently bought a used third generation iPod touch and it has a password on it and I can’t reach the last owner. I’ve tried the solution in your article Reset Passcode after purchasing used iPod touch and it doesn’t work. When I connect it to my computer it tells me it can’t connect without the password. Please help.
A: More recent versions of iTunes will block a passcode protected iPod touch or other iOS device from even connecting with an iTunes library unless they have been synced with that particular computer in the past.
Unfortunately, this prevents you from even being able to access the restore option in iTunes, since if you click the “Cancel” button the device doesn’t appear in iTunes at all.
Fortunately, you can work around this by forcing your device into recovery mode. To do this, simply unplug the Dock Connector cable from the bottom of your device and power it off by holding down the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds and sliding the “Slide to Power Off” slider.
Once the device has powered off, hold down the Home button while plugging the Dock Connector cable back in, and continue holding the Home button until you see a “Connect to iTunes” screen. Once you release the Home button, you should see a dialog box on your computer that iTunes has found a device in recovery mode
Click the “OK” button and you should see a recovery mode screen in iTunes that can be used to restore your device back to factory defaults.
Once restored, the device will basically be returned to an out-of-the-box configuration. You can then set it up as a new device, or choose to restore a backup of a previous iOS device onto it.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!