Car charging accessories
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have an iPhone 3G; my car has an auxiliary input on the dash. I would like a solution where I can connect my iPhone via dock adapter to charge and output music from one device - its a pain to connect a dock-connector car charger and a 3.5mm output jack from the top to output music.
A: At this point, only one of the major accessory manufacturers has released a “Works with iPhone” certified car charger with AUX output. The Kensington LiquidAUX for iPhone and iPod provides a car charger with a non-detachable shielded AUX output cable and a wireless remote with a steering wheel mounting bracket.
Note also that Griffin Technology and Belkin both offer Works With iPhone certified chargers with FM transmitters, both of which work with the iPhone 3G.
From our testing thus far, accessories that were Works With iPhone-certified for the original iPhone will still function normally with the iPhone 3G, however you may receive the nag (“This accessory is not made to work with iPhone”) message whenever you connect one of these accessories, suggesting that you turn on Airplane mode to avoid interference from the cellular radio.
Airplane Mode should not be necessary with a Works With iPhone product, and the display of this message for a certified accessory is a bug that Apple should fix.
Whether or not you will actually hear this interference depends on the individual accessory, but most car charger AUX outputs do not exhibit this problem anyway unless the iPhone itself is left in close proximity to the car speakers.
In fact, despite the lack of official Works With iPhone certification, Griffin’s AutoPilot for the iPod (iLounge rating: B) will work fine with the iPhone, subject to the restrictions and considerations mentioned above: You will get the Airplane Mode prompt (which you can safely select NO to), and there may be a risk of audio interference if the phone is placed too close to your car speakers or head unit.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Automatic releases new Automatic Lite version of car monitoring accessory
- Apple releases fourth tvOS 10.0.1 beta
- iOS dev finds unimplemented one-handed keyboard in iOS code
- Apple sends out press invites for ‘Hello Again’ Oct. 27 Mac event
- Apple releases fifth beta of iOS 10.1 to developers
- Apple patners with builders to include HomeKit-enabled devices in new homes
- Report about Apple Pay in Japan hints at Oct. 25 release for iOS 10.1
- Apple Pay adds 20+ new U.S. banks and credit unions, MBNA Canada coming ‘mid-2017’
- Misfit launches Phase smartwatch
- ecobee releases ecobee3 lite HomeKit-enabled Smart Thermostat
- Incase Icon, Pop, and Textured Snap for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Philips Hue Motion Sensor
- Bowers & Wilkins P9 Signature Headphones
- Tech Armor FlexProtect and Shock Flex for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- SwitchEasy Flash and Fleur for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Blue Microphones Raspberry Mobile Microphone
- Incipio Haven for iPhone 7 and Reprieve Sport for iPhone 7 Plus
- Mophie Hold Force Magnetic Case System for iPhone 7
- Speck Presidio and Tech21 Evo Tactical for iPhone 7
- Belkin Lightning Audio + Charge Rockstar
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps