Car interface fails after 3.0 upgrade
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have just downloaded 3.0 software update for my iPod touch 2G. Now when I plug it into the USB port of my car it says it doesn’t exist. My son’s iPod which has not been upgraded works perfectly fine. Is it my iPod or the download? Seriously thinking of getting rid of 3.0 and going back to previous software. Please help.
A: Maintaining accessory compatibility with various iPhone and iPod touch firmware updates is a common problem, particularly between major version updates. That having been said, however, you may want to ensure that this isn’t just a temporary problem by going through a few simple diagnostic procedures.
First, try rebooting your iPod touch by holding down the HOME and SLEEP/WAKE buttons simultaneously for about 10 seconds. This is the same concept as rebooting your computer, which of course often works to resolve computer-related problems as well.
If this does not fix the problem, your next step should be to try restoring the iPod touch back to its default configuration. To do this, connect your device to your computer and select it in iTunes. From there, click the “Restore” button that appears in the main iTunes window. iTunes will wipe your iPod touch and reinstall the 3.0 firmware onto it. This process will take about 5 minutes or so, and the your iPod touch will reboot. At that point, iTunes will offer to restore a backup of your previous iPod touch configuration. Respond instead that you want to set it up as a new iPod touch. From here, you can load some music on it and try it with your car to see if it works. Note that you can always restore your backup onto your device later from iTunes by right-clicking it in the devices list and choosing the “Restore Backup” option.
If your iPod touch doesn’t work even after you’ve restored it to factory settings and set it up from scratch, then it is very possible that something has changed in the 3.0 firmware that affects the interface between your car and the iPod touch. At this point, your best option would be to contact the dealer/manufacturer for your particular stereo system and see if they have an update available that fixes the problem with 3.0 compatibility.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Analyst claims wireless charging will be included in ‘iPhone 8,’ but rules out Energous as provider
- Apple claims EU made ‘fundamental errors’ in calculating $14B Irish tax ruling
- Analyst: ‘iPhone 8’ to feature ‘revolutionary’ front-facing camera with 3D sensors
- Apple releases third betas for iOS 10.3, tvOS 10.2, and watchOS 3.2 to developers
- Happy Presidents’ Day from iLounge
- Apple plans to begin iPhone manufacturing in India starting with the iPhone SE
- Rumor: iPhone 8 to eliminate Touch ID in favor of Facial Recognition
- Report: Apple working on 4K for next-generation Apple TV
- Apple announces WWDC 2017
- Apple patent points to possible new Smart Keyboard with dedicated ‘Share’ and ‘Emoji’ keys
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10