Car line-out solutions
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: My car has an auxiliary input jack, which accepts a “plug” the same size as the headphone jack. I have a cable that has a headphone jack-sized plug on each end, and can connect my iPod from its headphone jack to the AUX plug in the car. However, I’m wondering if there is a cable or device that would connect my iPod through the bottom iPod connector to the AUX input in my car? I assume the quality of sound from the iPod to the AUX input would be better through the Dock Connector, but is that right?
A: The main advantage of using the Dock Connector is that it is an un-amplified “line-out” signal, rather than passing through the iPod’s internal headphone amplifier. This means that you do get a theoretically cleaner sound, and the iPod volume control itself has no effect on the audio output—rather the audio is sent via the Dock Connector at a standard level.
There are a few solutions that can be used to provide line-out capability via the Dock Connector. The most basic solution is one of the SendStation PocketDock products, such as the PocketDock Line Out USB (iLounge rating: A- or the SendStation PocketDock AV (iLounge rating: NR), which provides both audio and video output.
The SendStation PocketDock solutions also have the advantage of being ultra-portable, and can therefore be used in many places other than your car.
For car-specific accessories, there are numerous very sophisticated car-kit solutions for the iPod, and you can find many options in our Car Power Chargers, Kits and Adapters reviews. However, one of our preferred solutions for basic portable car use is the Belkin Auto Kit (iLounge rating: B+). Although this has been on the market for some time, it works with all generations of iPod and still remains one of the best solutions for both charging your iPod from your car power and providing a line-out connection via the same cable, without having to get into any sophisticated car integration work.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iPhone tops Time’s list of most influential gadgets
- Kohl’s integrates rewards system with Apple Pay
- Apple hires ex-Nest exec to aid in health initiatives
- Apple loses exclusive ‘iPhone’ trademark in China
- Apple to reveal ‘sweeping changes’ to Apple Music interface at WWDC
- Apple releases fourth developer betas for iOS 9.3.2, tvOS 9.2.1
- Bowers & Wilkins acquired by EVA Automation
- India rejects Apple’s plan to sell used iPhones
- Rumor: Purported iPhone 7 component photo shows headphone jack intact
- Families fight in court over missing teen’s iPhone data
- August Doorbell Cam
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Incipio Stashback for iPhone 6/6s
- Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt with HomeKit support
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini 4
- Brydge BrydgeMini II Keyboard for iPad mini 4
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)