Chargers for 3G iPods
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have a 3rd generation iPod. I love it and use it every day, but unfortunately my old wall charger was stolen. Seems like all of the after-market chargers don’t work with my older iPod. Can you suggest a replacement charger?
A: Unfortunately, chargers that are compatible with the third-generation iPod models have become particularly scarce. The third-generation iPod charged using a Firewire-based power source, which connects to different pins in the iPod Dock Connector as compared to a USB charger, which is not supported by the third-generation iPod.
Although FireWire cables can still be found on the Apple Store, the actual Firewire AC adapter does not appear to be available directly from Apple. If you have a powered Firewire port on your computer, or another power source with a Firewire port, then the standard Dock Connector to Firewire cable will suffice to charge your iPod using your computer or that particular charger.
Depending upon your computer, purchasing a FireWire adapter card might actually be a viable solution as well. FireWire PCI cards are available from many sources for around $20, and these do generally provide powered FireWire ports, and you would be able to both charge and sync the iPod this way.
Otherwise, your best option is to look at the older, used accessory market. Many older iPod speakers can still be used to charge a third-generation iPod, particularly if they advertise 3G iPod compatibility, and FireWire-based AC adaptors, whether specifically for the iPod or not, can probably be found on a number of sources for used equipment such as eBay or Craigslist.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Incipio to acquire Skullcandy
- Apple confirms iOS 10 kernel was left open to improve performance
- Apple leaves iOS 10 kernel open to scrutiny
- Judge throws out ‘Error 53’ lawsuit against Apple
- Chinese company in iPhone patent fight is all but defunct
- Apple adds nine more apps to universal search in Apple TV
- WSJ: iPhone to see modest changes this year, eliminate headphone jack
- China tightening restrictions on mobile games starting next month
- Supreme Court patent ruling bodes well for future Apple cases
- Apple to pay $400M to consumers over e-book price fixing case
- Zagg Slim Book for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Element Case Ronin for iPhone 6/6s
- JBL Clip 2 Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- Audio-Technica ATH-SR5BT Wireless On-Ear Headphones
- Catalyst Case for iPad mini 4
- Jaybird Freedom Wireless Bluetooth Headphones
- Zagg Flex Arc Wireless Earbuds + Speakers
- Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7NC SonicPro Headphones with Active Noise Cancellation
- Twelve South BookBook for 12.9” iPad Pro
- Spigen Rugged Armor, Style Armor + Wallet S for iPhone SE
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app