Cleaning up after iTunes Consolidation
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I’ve read and employed your tips from “Transferring Your iTunes Library.” Works great. Thanks. I recently added a bunch of copies of CDs, consolidated, and they transferred to the external drive, but the files appeared to be still resident on my hard drive. I’d like to get rid those new GBs to free up the limited space on my MacBook Air hard drive (80GB). How do I do that?
A: The problem here is that the “Consolidate” function actually merely copies tracks to your new location—it never moves anything. This is essentially a case of iTunes erring on the side of caution; if things go wrong then all of your original audio files are still in their original locations.
The solution is fairly simple, however: As long as you have your iTunes Media folder path set to the external hard drive, the Consolidate operation should copy everything to that new location. This means that any files that are left lying around on your internal hard drive have either already been copied or weren’t listed in your iTunes library in the first place. This basically means that after a consolidation any media files still in your “iTunes Media” folder on your internal hard drive can simply be deleted manually through the Finder.
For an extra level of confidence you can spot-check a few tracks simply by viewing their properties; select a track and choose File, Get Info and check the “Summary” tab to see where iTunes is storing that particular file.
The “Where” line at the bottom of the “Summary” tab will show the full path that iTunes is using for that particular track.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iDevices adds dynamic automation, enhanced scheduling to ‘Connected’ app for HomeKit
- Apple reports that iOS 10.2.1 significantly reduces unexpected iPhone 6s shutdown issues
- Mobiata announces sunset of FlightTrack 5 and FlightBoard apps
- Harman announces first Wireless CarPlay implementation
- Report: Apple still considering several possible wireless charging solutions for ‘iPhone 8’
- Mini Metro adds Endless Mode
- Apple issues statement opposing Trump administration’s rescission of transgender rights
- ResearchKit study conducted using Apple Watch reveals new insights into seizures
- Instagram adds ability to include up to 10 photos or videos in a single post
- Facebook’s talks with MLB raise possibility that game streams could come to Apple TV
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10