Connecting to projectors
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I notice that there’s a new cable connector to get the iPad connected to a projector, but without a drive to load up software or drivers, how will the two communicate? Are all such drivers available for download now thus bypassing the need for an actual disk? Secondly, are you aware of any wireless VGA adaptors that would make wireless communication between the iPad and the projector possible? I’ve looked everywhere and so far only come up with are Windows based material like AddLogix and InFocus Liteshow II.
A: The “drivers” that come with most VGA- or DVI-based digital projectors are not necessary for basic video output through the projector any more than they’re necessary to connect your computer to a monitor. The iPad VGA connector cable will provide 1024x768 VGA output from the iPad which any digital projector with a VGA input port should be able to display natively. For projectors with DVI inputs a VGA-to-DVI adapter cable can be used, and it’s also likely that some third-party accessory maker will produce an iPad DVI cable at some point.
Connecting to a wireless projector is generally a more complicated issue, since as you’ve noted most of the wireless projector solutions don’t connect via VGA but rather provide their own connectivity solution over Wi-Fi. The iPad won’t support such solutions natively, but this is also something that could be addressed by a third-party application, since the iPad itself will support Wi-Fi.
Note that wireless VGA extenders do exist, but these are impractical as an iPad solution as they are generally bulky devices that require external power and tend to be in the same price range as the iPad itself.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Analyst claims wireless charging will be included in ‘iPhone 8,’ but rules out Energous as provider
- Apple claims EU made ‘fundamental errors’ in calculating $14B Irish tax ruling
- Analyst: ‘iPhone 8’ to feature ‘revolutionary’ front-facing camera with 3D sensors
- Apple releases third betas for iOS 10.3, tvOS 10.2, and watchOS 3.2 to developers
- Happy Presidents’ Day from iLounge
- Apple plans to begin iPhone manufacturing in India starting with the iPhone SE
- Rumor: iPhone 8 to eliminate Touch ID in favor of Facial Recognition
- Report: Apple working on 4K for next-generation Apple TV
- Apple announces WWDC 2017
- Apple patent points to possible new Smart Keyboard with dedicated ‘Share’ and ‘Emoji’ keys
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10