Connecting to projectors
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I notice that there’s a new cable connector to get the iPad connected to a projector, but without a drive to load up software or drivers, how will the two communicate? Are all such drivers available for download now thus bypassing the need for an actual disk? Secondly, are you aware of any wireless VGA adaptors that would make wireless communication between the iPad and the projector possible? I’ve looked everywhere and so far only come up with are Windows based material like AddLogix and InFocus Liteshow II.
A: The “drivers” that come with most VGA- or DVI-based digital projectors are not necessary for basic video output through the projector any more than they’re necessary to connect your computer to a monitor. The iPad VGA connector cable will provide 1024x768 VGA output from the iPad which any digital projector with a VGA input port should be able to display natively. For projectors with DVI inputs a VGA-to-DVI adapter cable can be used, and it’s also likely that some third-party accessory maker will produce an iPad DVI cable at some point.
Connecting to a wireless projector is generally a more complicated issue, since as you’ve noted most of the wireless projector solutions don’t connect via VGA but rather provide their own connectivity solution over Wi-Fi. The iPad won’t support such solutions natively, but this is also something that could be addressed by a third-party application, since the iPad itself will support Wi-Fi.
Note that wireless VGA extenders do exist, but these are impractical as an iPad solution as they are generally bulky devices that require external power and tend to be in the same price range as the iPad itself.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!