Continuously playing videos on iPod
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I like to use my iPod at the gym, where the treadmills have recently been upgraded with video screens with inputs. I can leave my iPod in the tray, and watch its video on a much larger screen! The problem is, my video podcasts, TV shows, and music videos only play one at a time, and it’s a huge pain to restart the videos while I’m jogging. Is there a way to keep them playing continuously?
A: You’ve discovered a major difference between the iPod’s “Music” and “Videos” main menu items. In “Music”, no matter how you access your content, the playback is automatically continous and sequential. In the “Videos” section, playback is only continuous in the “Video Playlists” menu item.
Therefore, to enable sequential playback of videos, you’ll need to first create a playlist containing these videos, just as you would for music. Then, access this playlist from the iPod’s “Video Playlists” menu, and the videos will play together without any intervention required. In fact, you can also mix and match music and video in these playlists, and the iPod will play back all content in order, regardless of its type.
You can use this technique with certain smart playlists to make management of your video content easier. For example, although all of your video podcasts are already automatically collected under one menu, you can collect them into a playlist automatically so they can play automatically:
Similar playlists can be used to collect Music Videos, TV Shows, and other video content for continuous playback.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple shelving iPhone Smart Connector idea?
- Apple Music Connect to take backseat in iOS 10?
- Apple, others seeking large expanse of land for autonomous car facility
- Apple Music launches $5-per-month student discount plan
- Apple partners with SAP for mobile enterprise solutions
- Apple adds Accessibility section to its online store
- LAPD hacked into iPhone 5s for murder investigation
- More details emerge on Apple Music overhaul
- iPhone tops Time’s list of most influential gadgets
- Kohl’s integrates rewards system with Apple Pay
- August Doorbell Cam
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Incipio Stashback for iPhone 6/6s
- Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt with HomeKit support
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini 4
- Brydge BrydgeMini II Keyboard for iPad mini 4
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)