Converting MIDI files for iPod
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: When I try to use iTunes to convert a MIDI file into AAC, I get an error message -50. I have scoured the Internet for various file conversion programs, but nothing seems to actually work to convert MIDIs; I always get odd errors, or files that just turn out as silence. Do you know of any way I can successfully convert these files into any iPod-compatible format?
A: The issue is that MIDI files aren’t actually a sound file - they’re more like text-based “digital sheet music” that instructs your computer what to play. Because of this, a MIDI file will sound different on different computers, depending on their sound cards’ MIDI engines and/or the software being used. Considering this very unique nature of MIDI audio files, it’s perhaps not very surprising that waveform-encoding algorithms don’t know what to do.
However, you’re not entirely out of luck. There are programs available for Mac and Windows which, although not necessarily intended for MIDI conversion, are designed to record any audio at all that your computer generates.
On the Mac, Ambrosia’s WireTap Pro is our absolute favorite. It intercepts nearly any audio that either leaves through your Mac’s speakers, or comes in through its Line-In or Microphone ports, and can record and encode directly to AAC audio on the fly.
On the PC, we’d recommend HighCriteria’s $12 TotalRecorder Standard Edition. While not as pretty or feature-packed as WireTap Pro, it certainly will suffice for capturing and encoding MIDI files. Try it out!
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- FTC files complaint against Qualcomm citing royalty deal with Apple
- India mulling manufacturing regulation changes which could woo Apple
- Apple Music creative team discusses the service’s exclusives, future
- Apple raising UK App Store prices by more than 25 percent
- Iovine fuels speculation about Apple’s interest in scripted TV shows
- Report: ‘iPhone 8’ to include upgraded water resistance
- U.S. appeals court resurrects App Store antitrust lawsuit against Apple
- Apple increases maximum tvOS app size to 4GB
- Apple releases fourth iOS 10.2.1 beta
- Apple looking to produce original TV content for Apple Music subscribers
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10