Converting MIDI files for iPod
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: When I try to use iTunes to convert a MIDI file into AAC, I get an error message -50. I have scoured the Internet for various file conversion programs, but nothing seems to actually work to convert MIDIs; I always get odd errors, or files that just turn out as silence. Do you know of any way I can successfully convert these files into any iPod-compatible format?
A: The issue is that MIDI files aren’t actually a sound file - they’re more like text-based “digital sheet music” that instructs your computer what to play. Because of this, a MIDI file will sound different on different computers, depending on their sound cards’ MIDI engines and/or the software being used. Considering this very unique nature of MIDI audio files, it’s perhaps not very surprising that waveform-encoding algorithms don’t know what to do.
However, you’re not entirely out of luck. There are programs available for Mac and Windows which, although not necessarily intended for MIDI conversion, are designed to record any audio at all that your computer generates.
On the Mac, Ambrosia’s WireTap Pro is our absolute favorite. It intercepts nearly any audio that either leaves through your Mac’s speakers, or comes in through its Line-In or Microphone ports, and can record and encode directly to AAC audio on the fly.
On the PC, we’d recommend HighCriteria’s $12 TotalRecorder Standard Edition. While not as pretty or feature-packed as WireTap Pro, it certainly will suffice for capturing and encoding MIDI files. Try it out!
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!