Converting TV shows to iPod
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: My computer has a TV tuner card and I am looking for a way to record TV shows using the tuner and then transfer the latest episode to my iPod. I have no found no solution to do this. Any ideas?
A: Exactly how this works is going to depend on the make and model of your TV tuner card and what software you are presently using to record TV shows. The key question here is the format that these shows are recorded in, and any conversion options the software may have built-in.
For Mac users, Elgato’s EyeTV 3 (see our iLounge review) provides built-in functionality to automatically convert recorded content into an iPod and iTunes ready format on the fly. Unfortunately, although there are a number of TV recording applications available for Windows users, built-in options for iPod conversion are somewhat more limited.
This does not preclude you from manually converting these into an iPod-ready format using any number of tools currently available for plain video file conversion. The goal basically in this case is just to find or export the TV recording in its native format, and then run it through a conversion application such as Videora (http://www.videora.com) to produce an iPod-compatible version of the video.
You can find more information on the formats and display resolutions supported by the iPod and its related devices in our Complete Guide to iPod, Apple TV and iPhone Video Formats.
Some tips on how to actually handle TV-to-iPod conversion for Windows users can be found in our Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion for Windows. Page two of this article discusses converting standard digital video content, and page three looks specifically at converting recorded TV content and some of the tools available for this.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!