Converting TV shows to iPod
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: My computer has a TV tuner card and I am looking for a way to record TV shows using the tuner and then transfer the latest episode to my iPod. I have no found no solution to do this. Any ideas?
A: Exactly how this works is going to depend on the make and model of your TV tuner card and what software you are presently using to record TV shows. The key question here is the format that these shows are recorded in, and any conversion options the software may have built-in.
For Mac users, Elgato’s EyeTV 3 (see our iLounge review) provides built-in functionality to automatically convert recorded content into an iPod and iTunes ready format on the fly. Unfortunately, although there are a number of TV recording applications available for Windows users, built-in options for iPod conversion are somewhat more limited.
This does not preclude you from manually converting these into an iPod-ready format using any number of tools currently available for plain video file conversion. The goal basically in this case is just to find or export the TV recording in its native format, and then run it through a conversion application such as Videora (http://www.videora.com) to produce an iPod-compatible version of the video.
You can find more information on the formats and display resolutions supported by the iPod and its related devices in our Complete Guide to iPod, Apple TV and iPhone Video Formats.
Some tips on how to actually handle TV-to-iPod conversion for Windows users can be found in our Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion for Windows. Page two of this article discusses converting standard digital video content, and page three looks specifically at converting recorded TV content and some of the tools available for this.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: 10.5” iPad Pro could still arrive this spring
- Apple’s Pages, Numbers, and Keynote apps gain Touch ID support, other improvements
- Apple releases tvOS 10.2 and Apple TV Remote for iPad
- Apple releases watchOS 3.2, featuring Theatre Mode, SiriKit
- Apple releases iOS 10.3 with Find My AirPods, Siri + CarPlay improvements
- Wells Fargo rolling out ability to use Apple Pay for transactions at some ATMs later this year
- Apple ‘stepping up’ investment in AR glasses, but they’re still reportedly more than a year away
- Beijing court overturns ruling that iPhone 6, 6 Plus violated design patents
- TSMC to begin production of A11 chips for new iPhone in April
- Report confirms legitimacy of at least some of the stolen iCloud credentials being held for ransom
- AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon Headphones
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Pioneer Rayz Plus Lightning Connector Earphones
- BEEM United BeMe D200 Lightning Connector Earphones
- Jam Audio JAM Xterior Max Rugged Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- HiFiMAN Edition S Headphones
- Divoom Timebox Mini Bluetooth Speaker
- iClever BoostSound BTS-09 Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10