Creating a better Videos hierarchy in the iPod’s menus
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
I have upgraded to the new 60GB fifth-generation iPod. I have copied my own videos and formatted them to iPod format. In iTunes, I can make my own genre, artist, title, etc. just as I do for music. However, when I transfer the videos to my iPod, I lose all of the tagging structure since I can’t browse my videos by the Genre tag I’ve worked to organize. Is there a way to fix this? How do I add different categories inside the drop down menu for Movies and TV Shows? The only thing I have been able to do is make Smart Playlists to group everything in their own categories. Help?
Unfortunately, what you’re doing is as good as it gets… at least for now.
We too have tagged our videos using the “Genre” tag into several different categories like TV Shows, Movies, TV Ads, Comedy Acts, Cool Clips, Music Videos, etc., but these are indeed independent of Apple’s “Movies/Music Videos/TV Shows” pull-down menu found in each file’s Get Info panel.
Furthermore, you can’t navigate Genre tags from within the iPod’s “Videos” menu. Other than separating out Music Videos (done under Get Info > Options Tab > Video Kind: Music Video), your solution of creating video playlists for each respective Genre is as good a solution as we’d be able to come up with. Sorry!
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Invoxia adds Amazon Alexa to Triby
- Apple provides more details on new Apple Music API
- Apple Music for Android adds music videos, Family Plan support
- Icahn pulls out of Apple over China concerns
- Apple launches CareKit, with four apps debuting today
- Alleged schematics for iPhone 7 ‘Pro’ show up in Japanese magazine
- Nintendo bringing Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing to iOS
- FBI will not disclose San Bernardino iPhone hack
- Notes from Apple’s Q2 2016 earnings call
- Apple Q2 results: $50.6B revenue, 51M iPhones, 10M iPads sold
- August Doorbell Cam
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Incipio Stashback for iPhone 6/6s
- Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt with HomeKit support
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini 4
- Brydge BrydgeMini II Keyboard for iPad mini 4
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)