Creating a better Videos hierarchy in the iPod’s menus
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
I have upgraded to the new 60GB fifth-generation iPod. I have copied my own videos and formatted them to iPod format. In iTunes, I can make my own genre, artist, title, etc. just as I do for music. However, when I transfer the videos to my iPod, I lose all of the tagging structure since I can’t browse my videos by the Genre tag I’ve worked to organize. Is there a way to fix this? How do I add different categories inside the drop down menu for Movies and TV Shows? The only thing I have been able to do is make Smart Playlists to group everything in their own categories. Help?
Unfortunately, what you’re doing is as good as it gets… at least for now.
We too have tagged our videos using the “Genre” tag into several different categories like TV Shows, Movies, TV Ads, Comedy Acts, Cool Clips, Music Videos, etc., but these are indeed independent of Apple’s “Movies/Music Videos/TV Shows” pull-down menu found in each file’s Get Info panel.
Furthermore, you can’t navigate Genre tags from within the iPod’s “Videos” menu. Other than separating out Music Videos (done under Get Info > Options Tab > Video Kind: Music Video), your solution of creating video playlists for each respective Genre is as good a solution as we’d be able to come up with. Sorry!
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- August adds Motion Detection, Video Recording to Doorbell Cam
- Black hat security firm triples exploit bounty to $1.5m in wake of improved iOS 10 security features
- BMW acknowledges Bluetooth problems with iPhone 7
- Apple announces ‘Game of Thrones: Enhanced Edition’ interactive iBooks
- Apple announces App Store Search Ads
- Apple announces iOS business development partnership with Deloitte
- Apple logs iMessage contact info, could be compelled to offer info to police
- Apple reportedly calls in hackers for meeting on bug bounty program
- Apple creating new London headquarters
- Honeywell debuts Lyric T5 HomeKit-enabled smart thermostat
- IK Multimedia iRig HD 2
- 808 Audio XS Sport Rugged Wireless Speaker
- Mass Fidelity Core Bluetooth Speaker
- Thought Out Simplex Tablet iPad Stand
- SmartX Galaxy ZEGA Starter Kit
- Apple iPhone 7 Plus Leather Case
- Apple Watch Series 2
- iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus
- Twelve South HiRise 2 for iPhone + iPad
- Nomad Pod Pro for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps