Creating a better Videos hierarchy in the iPod’s menus
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
I have upgraded to the new 60GB fifth-generation iPod. I have copied my own videos and formatted them to iPod format. In iTunes, I can make my own genre, artist, title, etc. just as I do for music. However, when I transfer the videos to my iPod, I lose all of the tagging structure since I can’t browse my videos by the Genre tag I’ve worked to organize. Is there a way to fix this? How do I add different categories inside the drop down menu for Movies and TV Shows? The only thing I have been able to do is make Smart Playlists to group everything in their own categories. Help?
Unfortunately, what you’re doing is as good as it gets… at least for now.
We too have tagged our videos using the “Genre” tag into several different categories like TV Shows, Movies, TV Ads, Comedy Acts, Cool Clips, Music Videos, etc., but these are indeed independent of Apple’s “Movies/Music Videos/TV Shows” pull-down menu found in each file’s Get Info panel.
Furthermore, you can’t navigate Genre tags from within the iPod’s “Videos” menu. Other than separating out Music Videos (done under Get Info > Options Tab > Video Kind: Music Video), your solution of creating video playlists for each respective Genre is as good a solution as we’d be able to come up with. Sorry!
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple to sell limited-edition Olympic Apple Watch bands exclusively in Brazil
- Report: iPhone 7 will include Lightning adapter instead of Lightning EarPods
- Edward Snowden designing device to prevent iPhone wiretapping
- Report: Apple Car team running into challenges, launch may slip to 2021
- Corning announces Gorilla Glass 5
- Apple under fire for providing refurbished replacements under AppleCare+
- Report: Apple acquires cloud music provider Omnifone? [Update: No]
- Apple releases second iOS 10 public beta
- India clears the way for Apple to open retail stores
- Apple Pay launches in Hong Kong
- Netatmo Tags for Welcome Smart Home Camera
- iDevices Socket HomeKit-enabled Light Adapter
- Koogeek Wi-Fi SmartPlug for Apple HomeKit
- Marbotic Smart Letters for iPad
- Ecoxgear Sol Jam Bluetooth Speaker
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case + Hand Strap for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Braven BRV-1M Bluetooth Speaker
- Braven BRV-Blade Bluetooth Speaker
- Invoxia Voice Bridge
- Incase Keyboard Case for iPad Air 2
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app