Creating a “Most Played this Month” playlist
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I would like to find out what songs I have been listening to the most in the last month to make a ‘Best of the Month’ playlist. However, I cannot seem to find a way to get precisely this logic into a smart playlist. Any ideas?
A: Unfortunately, this sort of playlist isn’t technically feasible without tricking your way into it.
By default, iTunes only records a total playcount and a Last Played date. Thus, if you played a song 45 times in January, and only once today, iTunes would only know that there were a total of 46 playcounts, and that you last played it today. Because a certain playcount is never explicitly associated with a play date, playlists which aim to track the number of plays within a certain time period are, simply, not possible.
However, there are two choices you can make:
First, if you’re willing to sacrifice your total playcounts, you can simply reset the playcounts to zero at the beginning of each month. This way, you ensure that a simple “Most Played” playlist, at the end of the month, reports exactly what you want it to. Simply save this track listing at the end of each month, before you reset the playcounts again, and you can keep a static “Best of XXXXXX” playlist as a lasting record for each month’s favorites.
Alternatively, if you’d rather sacrifice the specific set of logic you’re trying to establish than the ability to retain total playcounts, you could simply revert to a much less sophisticated smart playlist that simply keeps a list of the songs you have played at all in the last 30 days, sorted by their total playcount.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple offering hands-on demos of Super Mario Run in stores
- Report: Apple pursuing studio agreements for early movie rentals
- Apple releases seventh beta of iOS 10.2 to developers
- Apple makes its picks for best iPhone, iPad and Apple TV apps of 2016
- Apple acknowledges Apple Music now includes ‘all the benefits of iTunes Match’
- Apple Music tops 20 million subscribers
- Apple blames ‘external factors’ for iPhone fires in China
- Rumor: 2017 iPhones won’t include glass chassis or wireless charging; will add red color
- Top Apple supplier Foxconn planning U.S. investment
- Apple enables Single Sign-On across all iOS 10 and tvOS 10 devices
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Sen.se GuardPeanut
- iHome iZBT10 Zenergy Bedside Sleep Therapy Speaker
- Twelve South HiRise Duet for Apple Watch and iPhone
- IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor
- JBL Under Armour Sport Wireless Heart Rate Headphones
- Edifier e235 Luna E Speaker System
- Clamcase ClamCase+ for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10