Custom ringtones assignments don’t sync to iCloud
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have an iPhone 5 and an iPad 2. I know how to set up the ringtones for specific contacts on my iPhone, and likewise on the iPad, but if anything changes or I have to do a restore they are all lost. Isn’t there a way to set up the ringtones for the contact on my Mac running OS X and have them transfer to the device?
A: Unfortunately, despite this being a common question that we see, the answer appears to be that this is simply not possible.
Regardless of what method you use to sync Contacts, custom ringtone, text tone, and vibrations simply don’t get synced up to the cloud. While it’s understandable that third-party contact services such as Microsoft Exchange or Google Contacts may not have anywhere to save this information, it would appear that Apple has not even provided this capability in iCloud.
In fact, you’ll find that a custom tone field isn’t even available in the OS X Contacts app; this only appears on the Contacts app in iOS, and any changes made in this field are stored only locally on the device. There doesn’t even appear to be any way to export this information, and in fact this field isn’t available via the iOS Address Book APIs, meaning that it wouldn’t even be possible for a third-party app to backup or sync this information for you.
That said, as long as you don’t remove and re-sync your contacts, custom ringtone info shouldn’t normally just disappear by itself. Further, this information is stored as part of your iOS device backups, so in the event that you need to restore your entire backup onto your existing device or a new device, custom ringtone properties should come back with it as well. It’s small consolation, but in the meantime you can always submit feedback to Apple at http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html and hope that this gets considered for a future iOS update.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iDevices adds dynamic automation, enhanced scheduling to ‘Connected’ app for HomeKit
- Apple reports that iOS 10.2.1 significantly reduces unexpected iPhone 6s shutdown issues
- Mobiata announces sunset of FlightTrack 5 and FlightBoard apps
- Harman announces first Wireless CarPlay implementation
- Report: Apple still considering several possible wireless charging solutions for ‘iPhone 8’
- Mini Metro adds Endless Mode
- Apple issues statement opposing Trump administration’s rescission of transgender rights
- ResearchKit study conducted using Apple Watch reveals new insights into seizures
- Instagram adds ability to include up to 10 photos or videos in a single post
- Facebook’s talks with MLB raise possibility that game streams could come to Apple TV
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10