Customizing iPhone alerts
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Is there any way to customize the sounds on my iPhone?
A: The iPhone allows custom ring tones to be used, and you can also choose between six different pre-defined sounds for your SMS (text message) notifications. The options are found under the Settings application on the iPhone, in the Sounds category.
Any custom ring tones can also be used as alarm sounds within the iPhone’s Clock application.
Other sounds, such as the new voicemail and new mail notifications, can merely be turned on or off.
You can purchase custom ring tones from the iTunes Store, however we consider this to be the more expensive and impractical option. Numerous third-party software applications are available to turn your existing songs into custom ring tones, including Apple’s own GarageBand ‘08 application if you’re using Mac OS X. If you’re a Mac user without the latest version of GarageBand, you can check out iToner (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/iToner, $15). If you’re a Windows user, there’s iPhoneRingToneMaker (http://www.efksoft.com/products/iphoneringtonemaker, $15).
Note that if you have jailbroken your iPhone, there are numerous options for customizing your sounds, but we do not normally recommend the jailbreaking process unless you are an experienced user and are comfortable with the possible warranty issues and instabilities that this may introduce to your device. Jailbroken devices are not in any way supported by Apple, and the software you are using on a jailbroken iPhone is therefore also unsupported in the event that you run into problems.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report confirms legitimacy of at least some of the stolen iCloud credentials being held for ransom
- New (PRODUCT)RED iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone SE, and 9.7” iPad now available to order
- Apple Store down again ahead of new iPad, Product(RED) iPhone launch
- Apple acquires automation app Workflow
- Nintendo updates Super Mario Run, makes more courses available for free play
- Apple confirms iCloud and Apple ID systems have not been breached in response to hacker threat
- Hackers claim to have access to millions of iCloud accounts, demand ransom from Apple
- Apple’s Siri in the running to voice control room functions at Marriott’s Aloft hotels
- Apple releases iTunes 12.6 with new cross-device movie rental feature
- Apple introduces Clips video app
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Pioneer Rayz Plus Lightning Connector Earphones
- BEEM United BeMe D200 Lightning Connector Earphones
- Jam Audio JAM Xterior Max Rugged Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- HiFiMAN Edition S Headphones
- Divoom Timebox Mini Bluetooth Speaker
- iClever BoostSound BTS-09 Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundcast VG1 Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10