Customizing iPhone alerts
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Is there any way to customize the sounds on my iPhone?
A: The iPhone allows custom ring tones to be used, and you can also choose between six different pre-defined sounds for your SMS (text message) notifications. The options are found under the Settings application on the iPhone, in the Sounds category.
Any custom ring tones can also be used as alarm sounds within the iPhone’s Clock application.
Other sounds, such as the new voicemail and new mail notifications, can merely be turned on or off.
You can purchase custom ring tones from the iTunes Store, however we consider this to be the more expensive and impractical option. Numerous third-party software applications are available to turn your existing songs into custom ring tones, including Apple’s own GarageBand ‘08 application if you’re using Mac OS X. If you’re a Mac user without the latest version of GarageBand, you can check out iToner (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/iToner, $15). If you’re a Windows user, there’s iPhoneRingToneMaker (http://www.efksoft.com/products/iphoneringtonemaker, $15).
Note that if you have jailbroken your iPhone, there are numerous options for customizing your sounds, but we do not normally recommend the jailbreaking process unless you are an experienced user and are comfortable with the possible warranty issues and instabilities that this may introduce to your device. Jailbroken devices are not in any way supported by Apple, and the software you are using on a jailbroken iPhone is therefore also unsupported in the event that you run into problems.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple Music tops 20 million subscribers
- Apple blames ‘external factors’ for iPhone fires in China
- Rumor: 2017 iPhones won’t include glass chassis or wireless charging; will add red color
- Top Apple supplier Foxconn planning U.S. investment
- Apple enables Single Sign-On across all iOS 10 and tvOS 10 devices
- Apple releases fifth beta for tvOS 10.1 to developers
- Apple to start publishing its AI research
- Supreme Court rules against Apple in design patent case
- Study finds half of kids headphones exceed safe volume limits
- More iPhone 6s devices affected by shutdown bug; iOS update coming
- Sen.se GuardPeanut
- iHome iZBT10 Zenergy Bedside Sleep Therapy Speaker
- Twelve South HiRise Duet for Apple Watch and iPhone
- IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor
- JBL Under Armour Sport Wireless Heart Rate Headphones
- Edifier e235 Luna E Speaker System
- Clamcase ClamCase+ for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Scosche BoomBottle H2O+ Waterproof Wireless Speaker
- Thermos Connected Hydration Bottle with Smart Lid
- Beats Solo3 Wireless On-Ear Headphones
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10