Customizing iTunes sorting
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Question on the iTunes library: Why is the alphabetization not by surname. I would prefer Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers under P for Petty. Can I override this, or put in a comma, such as “Petty and the Heartbreakers, Tom”?
A: Due to the wide variety of artist names, it would be difficult for iTunes to figure out exactly which tracks should be sorted by which words. For instance, does “Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers” get sorted by Tom, Petty or Heartbreakers?
Fortunately, iTunes does provide a way for you to override this behaviour on your own. You could obviously just change the actual artist name as you describe, but this may not represent what you want the actual artist name to look like when you view it. Instead, iTunes provides you with the ability to enter how you think a field should be actually sorted without affecting the way that it’s displayed. To do this, simply select the tracks that you would like to see sorted differently, choose File, Get Info from the iTunes menu to bring up the multiple item information dialog box, and then choose the “Sorting” tab.
From here, you can type in whatever text you want iTunes to use when sorting the selected tracks. The actual displayed artist name will remain the same, but when sorting it will use the information in these “Sort” fields instead. Note that you don’t even need to enter the whole name as the information is never actually displayed anywhere—you just need to enter enough for iTunes to be able to actually sort it. For example, even just entering “Petty” would probably suffice in this case.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple filming original ‘dark drama’ television series featuring Dr. Dre
- Apple under fire for patent infringement from haptic feedback company Immersion
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- VRS Design Crystal Bumper, High Pro Shield + Verge Active for iPhone 6/6s
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!