De-rating songs en masse
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
I’ve been using my current iTunes library for over two years and I like rating my songs. Recently I’ve started to dislike the way I have been rating songs until now. My ratings are relatively too high, and there’s not enough differentiation at the top end of my scale for my 5-star songs to really mean something special.
Is it possible to somehow reduce the ratings of all the songs in my library by 1 star? This way, all my current 4-star songs will be 3-star, 5-star songs will be 4-star and I’d have to reselect the 5-star songs, creating a new “top level”. Is there any AppleScript or similar out there that can help me do this?
A: We couldn’t find any script like this on Doug’s AppleScripts for iTunes, but here’s a quick and easy solution, that, although manual in nature, should work painlessly. This is likely better for most readers, anyway, since Windows users can’t use AppleScripts.
Create the following smart playlist:
Now, open this playlist, and choose “Select All” from iTunes’ edit menu. Then, choose “Get Info” from the “File” menu. Change the rating to be 0 stars, effectively reducing all of your 1-star songs to 0 stars.
Next, change the smart playlist to select all of your 2-star music, and again edit all of its songs to have 1 star. Edit the playlist to select 3-star music, and change these files to be 2 stars… Continue upward in rating until you’ve decremented all 5 rating levels.
Do not start with 5 stars and work down, or you’ll end up with a library full of unrated music!
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!