De-rating songs en masse
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
I’ve been using my current iTunes library for over two years and I like rating my songs. Recently I’ve started to dislike the way I have been rating songs until now. My ratings are relatively too high, and there’s not enough differentiation at the top end of my scale for my 5-star songs to really mean something special.
Is it possible to somehow reduce the ratings of all the songs in my library by 1 star? This way, all my current 4-star songs will be 3-star, 5-star songs will be 4-star and I’d have to reselect the 5-star songs, creating a new “top level”. Is there any AppleScript or similar out there that can help me do this?
A: We couldn’t find any script like this on Doug’s AppleScripts for iTunes, but here’s a quick and easy solution, that, although manual in nature, should work painlessly. This is likely better for most readers, anyway, since Windows users can’t use AppleScripts.
Create the following smart playlist:
Now, open this playlist, and choose “Select All” from iTunes’ edit menu. Then, choose “Get Info” from the “File” menu. Change the rating to be 0 stars, effectively reducing all of your 1-star songs to 0 stars.
Next, change the smart playlist to select all of your 2-star music, and again edit all of its songs to have 1 star. Edit the playlist to select 3-star music, and change these files to be 2 stars… Continue upward in rating until you’ve decremented all 5 rating levels.
Do not start with 5 stars and work down, or you’ll end up with a library full of unrated music!
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iDevices adds dynamic automation, enhanced scheduling to ‘Connected’ app for HomeKit
- Apple reports that iOS 10.2.1 significantly reduces unexpected iPhone 6s shutdown issues
- Mobiata announces sunset of FlightTrack 5 and FlightBoard apps
- Harman announces first Wireless CarPlay implementation
- Report: Apple still considering several possible wireless charging solutions for ‘iPhone 8’
- Mini Metro adds Endless Mode
- Apple issues statement opposing Trump administration’s rescission of transgender rights
- ResearchKit study conducted using Apple Watch reveals new insights into seizures
- Instagram adds ability to include up to 10 photos or videos in a single post
- Facebook’s talks with MLB raise possibility that game streams could come to Apple TV
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10