Deleting and reinstalling an iOS app
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I want to delete an app and download a fresh copy to my device. However, when I go to the App Store and locate the app, it has the iCloud icon next to it. How do I cleanse this app off of everything so that I can download a clean, fresh copy?
A: The iCloud icon simply indicates that you have previously purchased the app and can therefore download it again from iTunes in the Cloud without having to re-purchase it. The present of this icon actually indicates that app is not on your device; for apps that are already installed, an “Open” button should appear instead, providing a direct link for opening the app in question.
You can reinstall your application from here by tapping on the iCloud icon. Unless the app in question actually stores its data in iCloud this is all that you actually need to do in order to start with a fresh copy. Most apps actually do not use iCloud for data storage, and the iCloud icon you see in the App Store refers to the fact that the application is available from iTunes in the Cloud, not whether it stores any data in iCloud.
If you’re unsure whether an app has any data stored in iCloud, you can check this by going into your iOS Settings app and selecting iCloud, Storage & Backup, Manage Storage. This will display a list of all applications with data stored in iCloud. You can tap on any app to see what data it is storing, and use the “Edit” button in the top-right corner of the detail screen to remove that data from your device and the iCloud servers.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Sonos speakers available on Apple’s online store today, in Apple Stores next month
- Apple lacks lobbying power in fight with EU
- Apple to offer ‘Spoken Editions’ of written content from top publishers
- Apple working to turn HealthKit into diagnosis tool
- Hackers expose security flaw in iOS 10’s local backups
- Apple releases iOS 10.0.2 to fix headphone controls, iCloud Photo Library
- Report: Apple’s Siri home hub has reached the prototype stage
- Apple acquires machine learning company Tuplejump
- Apple releases iOS 10.1 public beta
- iOS 10.1 beta adds ‘Portrait’ Depth of Field effect
- Mass Fidelity Core Bluetooth Speaker
- Thought Out Simplex Tablet iPad Stand
- SmartX Galaxy ZEGA Starter Kit
- Apple iPhone 7 Plus Leather Case
- Apple Watch Series 2
- iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus
- Twelve South HiRise 2 for iPhone + iPad
- Nomad Pod Pro for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Sevenhugs hugOne Sleep Monitoring System
- Kanex GoPower Watch Portable Battery for Apple Watch
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps