Deleting genres from iTunes’ pull-down menu | iLounge Article

Article

Deleting genres from iTunes’ pull-down menu

Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

Q: Is it possible to delete unwanted genres from iTunes’ pull-down genre selection menu? I currently have 51 genres in this list, but I only use a small set of them. Can this list be reduced? Some of them I want to remove are simply misspellings that I’ve done before (Clasical, Harcore), but others are genres I simply have no interest in. Thanks!

- Chandler

A: The current versions of iTunes remove any genre from the list for which there are no songs currently in your library. Thus, your misspelled genres should disappear from the list as soon as you fix the songs that belong to them in your Music Library. However, the genres which come standard in iTunes’ list cannot be edited out.

The most asked question at iLounge.com:

How do I copy content from my iPod/iPhone onto my computer?

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, Apple TV and iPhone Video Formats

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Mac)

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Win)

Best Speakers?

Best Headphones?

Best Case?

Best In-Car Solution?

Best Battery Extender?

Find more answers in the latest publications in our Library. Free downloads developed by the editors of iLounge!

Ask iLounge Archives:

1-24-14: Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks

1-22-14: Splitting purchased content between two iPads

12-13-13: Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers

12-11-13: Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone

12-6-13: Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac

Read more recent Ask iLounge articles...

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

« Locating replacement iPod parts for self-repair

Limiting Your iPod’s Maximum Volume »

Comments

re: deleting genres.

Just select all the genres you don’t use (apple-click/right-click to do several at once) and then hit apple+I (or “get Info” from the File menu) and then hit the check-mark next to the “genre” box that pops up. This will strip the genre data from all these files. The only genres that will show up now are the ones you actually use, everything else will be ‘genre-less’.

Posted by mike in boston or toronto on March 30, 2006 at 11:04 PM (CST)

scrap my previous comment - i see the query was about something else.

Posted by mike in boston or toronto on March 30, 2006 at 11:06 PM (CST)

Am trying to find a DVD ripper that runs on MAC OS 9 anyone has ideas on what and where I can find these?

Thanks.

Posted by new@mac on March 31, 2006 at 4:16 AM (CST)

I have tried a few different ways to import videos to my ipod but I still have no sound and only video on my ipod.  I have tried to use DVD Decrypter with Videora Ipod Convertor and same results.  Any suggestions? Thanks!!!

Posted by andream on April 3, 2006 at 11:15 AM (CDT)

Im going to get a new digital music player, and I’ve decited between the 5G 30gb iPod, and the creative ZEN microPhoto. The zen is cheaper ($230) and has more features< except for video>, but iPods are cooler. If I were older, I would go with ZEN, but the choice is hard for someone thats in still school. Thanks!
P.S. being that this is ILOUNGE, this is kind of one sided, but honestly, whats the best choice!?!

Posted by mmike on April 3, 2006 at 5:33 PM (CDT)

my i pod has like a big stain on the screen so i took it to the apple store and they said it must’ve been because there was huge pression on the screen but i dont know how could that happen. so how can i get it fixed? where should i take it to?

Posted by karli* on April 5, 2006 at 4:14 PM (CDT)

my ipod has liek a big stain on the screen so i took it to the apple store and they said it must;ve been because somthing aplyed lots of presure on it but i dont know how could it happen. So how can i get it fixes? where should i take it to?

Posted by karli* on April 5, 2006 at 4:35 PM (CDT)

Any suggestions for an IPOD mini that is suddenly playing out of one headphone?

Posted by jsantist2001 on April 6, 2006 at 10:16 AM (CDT)

my ipod has disk with exclamation mark on it.
Ive tried reseting it but still wont go
away. Everytime I try to restore factory settings using ipod updater it keeps telling me that I can’t mount ipod.  Any help would be greatly appreciated, Its like losing a leg with the ipod

Thanks

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted by gedmonds on April 6, 2006 at 11:30 AM (CDT)

gedmonds,

I had the same problem with my 4g 20gig ipod a while back. The screen would display either the exlamation mark or a little picture of an unhappy ipod face. Seriously, this was very upsetting. It took a lot of time to figure out that there was nothing that I could do. I tried everything. I tried wiping the hard drive and reloading the software. I eventually had to take it to the apple store in Nashville (which was a three hour drive from Knoxville where I live) It was a hassel but I found that it was still in warranty so apple gave me a new one. I hope that this is not the case for you, but you might try contacting them anyway.

Posted by camerack on April 6, 2006 at 2:34 PM (CDT)

My 30 gig vid ipod has about 250 songs on it. I got it for christmas from my wife only 3 months ago and im ready to smash it. It keeps freezing up on me. The most it will go is about 5 or 6 songs and it freezes before i have to reset it. Ive done the updates etc, can someone please help me or tell me what to do? Can I just take to any apple store and trade it for a new one. never been dropped or anything.

Posted by spacepilgrim on April 8, 2006 at 11:33 AM (CDT)