Deleting unwanted apps from iCloud
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: How do I delete unwanted apps from iCloud ? I have an iPhone 5.
A: Your applications themselves are not stored in iCloud, but only on your device and in your iTunes library. Some applications will store their data in iCloud, but this is usually optional and does not apply to every application.
The iTunes Store does maintain a list of all of the apps that you have previously purchased or downloaded so that you can re-download them into iTunes or directly onto your device, but these do not take up any storage in your iCloud account—it’s basically just a purchase history linked to the actual apps on the App Store. In fact, if an application is removed from the App Store for whatever reason, it will also disappear from this purchased apps list. This is accessed either from the “Purchases” section found in the App Store on your iPhone or in the iTunes Store in your iTunes application on your Mac or PC.
If there’s an app in your purchase history that you don’t want to see on this list, you can “hide” it by going into your Purchase history in iTunes, hovering over the app that you want to hide, and clicking the small “X” that appears in the top-left corner.
Keep in mind that this will only hide the application from your purchase history listing—it does not “remove” it permanently from your account, and if you access the application directly in iTunes or the App Store, it will still show as being previously purchased/downloaded, with an “Install” button shown beside it.
You can find a list of purchased/downloaded items that you’ve previously hidden by going into your iTunes Store account preferences in iTunes and selecting the “View Hidden Purchases” link under the iTunes in the Cloud section.
This will bring up a Hidden Purchases screen similar to the Purchased view, with only those items that have been hidden displayed, and options to unhide items rather than downloading them.
If you have an app that stores its data in iCloud and want to remove that data from your device and your iCloud account, you can do this by going into the Settings app and selecting iCloud, Storage and Backup and then the Manage Storage option.
This will show a list of your device backups and applications currently storing data in iCloud and you can remove the data for individual applications from here. See Deleting App Data from iCloud for more information.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iPad Air 3, iPhone 5se expected to be available March 18
- Apple filming original ‘dark drama’ television series featuring Dr. Dre
- Apple under fire for patent infringement from haptic feedback company Immersion
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- VRS Design Crystal Bumper, High Pro Shield + Verge Active for iPhone 6/6s
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!