Differences between iPod models
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: My iPod accessory doesn’t work with my new iPod.
A: The 2007 series of iPods have brought with them some changes in regards to accessory compatibility, and as a result, some older accessories may not work with these newer model iPods.
The biggest issue by far this season has been video accessories. Video was introduced with the fifth-generation iPod released in 2005, and there have now been almost two years worth of accessories produced to output video from the fifth-generation iPod to your TV or other video output device. The bad news is thatvirtually none of these are compatible with the 2007 iPod models.
This issue is discussed in much greater detail in our article, Apple locks TV Out in new iPods, breaks video add-ons and has also been covered in previous Ask iLounge columns.
If you have received a new iPod video accessory for Christmas and it doesn’t work with your 2007 iPod model, your best option is to return it for a refund, or exchange it for a compatible iPod video cable. At this point, your only viable options are the expensive Apple AV Cables, although we expect to see additional compatible video output accessories released in the new year.
The good news is that most other accessories should work just fine with the current model iPod classic and iPod nano, with the following notable exceptions:
- The Apple iPod Camera Connector is no longer compatible with any current-generation iPod model. Although it was previously compatible with the fourth-generation iPod with color screen and the fifth-generation iPod, this compatibility has not been extended to the iPod classic.
- The Apple FM Radio Remote is not compatible with the iPod touch. The iPod touch simply does not contain the necessary software to support this device.
- The Nike+ Sport Kit remains compatible only with the iPod nano. This is not a dramatic change from previous years, but remains a point of confusion for some of our readers, particularly now that the iPod touch provides solid-state memory).
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Iovine fuels speculation about Apple’s interest in scripted TV shows
- Report: ‘iPhone 8’ to include upgraded water resistance
- U.S. appeals court resurrects App Store antitrust lawsuit against Apple
- Apple increases maximum tvOS app size to 4GB
- Apple releases fourth iOS 10.2.1 beta
- Apple looking to produce original TV content for Apple Music subscribers
- FBI releases heavily redacted information about cracking iPhone
- Apple partners with Tresorit to offer encryption option to CareKit developers
- ESPN’s iOS apps add support for Single Sign-On
- Spigen AirPods Stand coming in mid-February
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10