Differences between iPod models
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: My iPod accessory doesn’t work with my new iPod.
A: The 2007 series of iPods have brought with them some changes in regards to accessory compatibility, and as a result, some older accessories may not work with these newer model iPods.
The biggest issue by far this season has been video accessories. Video was introduced with the fifth-generation iPod released in 2005, and there have now been almost two years worth of accessories produced to output video from the fifth-generation iPod to your TV or other video output device. The bad news is thatvirtually none of these are compatible with the 2007 iPod models.
This issue is discussed in much greater detail in our article, Apple locks TV Out in new iPods, breaks video add-ons and has also been covered in previous Ask iLounge columns.
If you have received a new iPod video accessory for Christmas and it doesn’t work with your 2007 iPod model, your best option is to return it for a refund, or exchange it for a compatible iPod video cable. At this point, your only viable options are the expensive Apple AV Cables, although we expect to see additional compatible video output accessories released in the new year.
The good news is that most other accessories should work just fine with the current model iPod classic and iPod nano, with the following notable exceptions:
- The Apple iPod Camera Connector is no longer compatible with any current-generation iPod model. Although it was previously compatible with the fourth-generation iPod with color screen and the fifth-generation iPod, this compatibility has not been extended to the iPod classic.
- The Apple FM Radio Remote is not compatible with the iPod touch. The iPod touch simply does not contain the necessary software to support this device.
- The Nike+ Sport Kit remains compatible only with the iPod nano. This is not a dramatic change from previous years, but remains a point of confusion for some of our readers, particularly now that the iPod touch provides solid-state memory).
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Study finds Apple Watch is best fitness tracker for privacy, security
- Conflicting reports over pink color to be featured in iPhone 5se
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!