Differentiating 5G 30GB models
Q: Is there a way to tell which version of the 30GB iPod one has? They look virtually identical to me, and I’d like to know which I just purchased.
A: Absolutely. Although nothing has changed with respect to the exterior appearance of the 30GB iPod, there are several ways to tell the difference between the original fifth generation iPod and the newly-released “enhanced” fifth generation (or 5.5G) iPod.
First, and most obvious if you still have the iPod’s packaging, is that the newest iPods feature iTunes’ new movies feature on the box: the packaging of enhanced 5G iPods features Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Carribean playing on the iPod on one side of the box, and the audio track “Dani California,” by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, playing on the other.
Second, if don’t have the packaging anymore and the iPod is functioning, the enhanced 5G iPods have a “Search” functionality built into their Music menu, while even fully-updated original 5G iPods do not:
Finally, if the iPod is no longer functional, and you don’t have the packaging, you can still identify the iPod precisely: the new enhanced fifth generation iPod models have serial numbers which end in WU9, WUA, WUB, or WUC.
For more information on how to identify which model iPod you own, check out this excellent support document on Apple’s website.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Microsoft, Yahoo hope to replace Google for Safari default search?
- T-Mobile required to fully disclose throttled data speeds
- Steve Jobs biopic picked up by Universal, Fassbender to star
- Handbrake updated to 0.10, adds new encoders + more
- Report: ‘Deep Organizational Issues’ at Apple affecting iCloud progress
- Apple announces Product(RED) Gift Cards for Black Friday
- Apple unveils Product(RED) apps for World AIDS Day 2014
- Apps of the Week: Sago Mini Road Trip, Football Manager Handheld 2015, Deliveries 6.0 + more
- Square plans to accept Apple Pay in 2015
- Google settles patent litigation with Apple’s Rockstar consortium
- Verus Case Damda Slide for iPhone 6 Plus
- Heckler Design @Rest Stand for iPad (2014)
- Kerf Case Wood Cases for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Urban Armor Gear Folio for iPhone 6 Plus
- ZeroChroma FluxStand-Compatible Car Vent Mount + Reflective Armband
- Griffin Slim Folio and Survivor All-Terrain for iPad Air 2
- ZeroChroma Slide-Mount Combo Pack for iPad Folio-Slide Cases
- G-Project G-Go Outdoor Wireless Speaker (2014)
- SteelSeries Stratus XL Gaming Controller
- Belkin/Jarden Mr. Coffee 10-Cup Smart Coffeemaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0