Differentiating 5G 30GB models
Q: Is there a way to tell which version of the 30GB iPod one has? They look virtually identical to me, and I’d like to know which I just purchased.
A: Absolutely. Although nothing has changed with respect to the exterior appearance of the 30GB iPod, there are several ways to tell the difference between the original fifth generation iPod and the newly-released “enhanced” fifth generation (or 5.5G) iPod.
First, and most obvious if you still have the iPod’s packaging, is that the newest iPods feature iTunes’ new movies feature on the box: the packaging of enhanced 5G iPods features Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Carribean playing on the iPod on one side of the box, and the audio track “Dani California,” by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, playing on the other.
Second, if don’t have the packaging anymore and the iPod is functioning, the enhanced 5G iPods have a “Search” functionality built into their Music menu, while even fully-updated original 5G iPods do not:
Finally, if the iPod is no longer functional, and you don’t have the packaging, you can still identify the iPod precisely: the new enhanced fifth generation iPod models have serial numbers which end in WU9, WUA, WUB, or WUC.
For more information on how to identify which model iPod you own, check out this excellent support document on Apple’s website.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Logitech debuts Type+ Keyboard for iPad Air
- Upcoming iPad Air to have gold color option
- Apple Q4 earnings call coming October 20
- European magazine gets blacklisted by Apple for posting “Bendgate” video
- “Reset All Settings” in iOS 8 may also erase iCloud Drive content
- Apple’s tax deal in Ireland may be illegal according to EU regulators
- Apple releases first iOS 8.1 beta to developers
- iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus hit China Oct. 17, pre-orders Oct. 10
- Report: iOS 8.1, 8.2, 8.3 in simultaneous development
- French fashion retailer Colette to hold in-store Apple event
- Spigen Capsule, Neo Hybrid / EX / Metal + Ultra Hybrid for iPhone 6
- Griffin Survivor All-Terrain, Core, and Slim for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Griffin Identity, Reveal cases for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Orbotix Ollie by Sphero
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic HD
- JBL Charge 2 Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Bowers & Wilkins C5 Series 2 In-Ear Headphones
- Urban Armor Gear Composite Case for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Speck CandyShell, Card, Grip + Inked cases for iPhone 6
- Incipio DualPro Shine, Edge for iPhone 6 + NGP for iPhone 6 Plus
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch