Differentiating 5G 30GB models
Q: Is there a way to tell which version of the 30GB iPod one has? They look virtually identical to me, and I’d like to know which I just purchased.
A: Absolutely. Although nothing has changed with respect to the exterior appearance of the 30GB iPod, there are several ways to tell the difference between the original fifth generation iPod and the newly-released “enhanced” fifth generation (or 5.5G) iPod.
First, and most obvious if you still have the iPod’s packaging, is that the newest iPods feature iTunes’ new movies feature on the box: the packaging of enhanced 5G iPods features Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Carribean playing on the iPod on one side of the box, and the audio track “Dani California,” by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, playing on the other.
Second, if don’t have the packaging anymore and the iPod is functioning, the enhanced 5G iPods have a “Search” functionality built into their Music menu, while even fully-updated original 5G iPods do not:
Finally, if the iPod is no longer functional, and you don’t have the packaging, you can still identify the iPod precisely: the new enhanced fifth generation iPod models have serial numbers which end in WU9, WUA, WUB, or WUC.
For more information on how to identify which model iPod you own, check out this excellent support document on Apple’s website.
- Apple has sold one billion iPhones
- Parkopedia to provide detailed parking information for Apple Maps [Updated]
- Microsoft releases Pix camera app for iPhone
- Adobe launches new Lightroom viewer for Apple TV
- Australian banks team up to push for other mobile payment apps on iPhone
- Report: iPhone 7 may feature 3D Touch home button
- Apple turning ‘Carpool Karaoke’ into an Apple Music exclusive
- Notes from Apple’s Q3 2016 earnings call
- Apple Q3 results: $42.4B revenue, 40M iPhones, 10M iPads sold
- Researchers expose security flaw in Osram smart bulbs
- Moe Bull Stand for iPad Air 2 + 9.7” iPad Pro
- Netatmo Tags for Welcome Smart Home Camera
- iDevices Socket HomeKit-enabled Light Adapter
- Koogeek Wi-Fi SmartPlug for Apple HomeKit
- Marbotic Smart Letters for iPad
- Ecoxgear Sol Jam Bluetooth Speaker
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case + Hand Strap for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Braven BRV-1M Bluetooth Speaker
- Braven BRV-Blade Bluetooth Speaker
- Invoxia Voice Bridge
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app