Disabling Birthday Reminders from Facebook Friends
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I followed the instructions in your article on Turning off Facebook Calendars and Contacts in iOS 6 to disable my Facebook Calendar, however it seems that my Facebook friends’ birthdays are still appearing in my Notification Center. With over 800 Facebook friends, you can imagine how this would get pretty annoying. Any ideas how I can stop these from showing up?
A: Firstly, keep in mind that iOS actually creates a virtual “Birthdays” calendar based on your contact information, regardless of which calendars you’re actually subscribed to.
Therefore, even if you have disabled Facebook calendar access but still have Facebook contacts activated, you will also end up with a Birthdays calendar for all of those contacts who have birthdays listed in their Facebook profiles. As with people with birthdays in your personal contacts, notifications will appear according to the Default Alert Times option, which can be found in your Mail, Contacts, Calendars section of the iOS Settings app.
If you simply want to stop receiving notifications for birthdays, you can simply set this to “None”; a Birthdays calendar will still appear, but you won’t get any Notification Center items popping up for them. Keep in mind that this disabled ALL birthday notifications, however, including those for your personal contacts.
Note that the iOS Facebook app has its own option for providing birthday reminders—if the Notification Center entries that you are seeing have a Facebook icon beside them, they’re being generated by the Facebook app and not by the iOS Calendar and Contacts. You can access this setting in the Facebook app by opening the left-side menu, scrolling down to Account Settings and then choosing Notifications and Mobile Push.
Simply scroll down to the bottom and deselect “Birthday Reminder”—and while you’re here you may even find a few other notification settings you’d like to adjust as well.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- More iPhone 6s devices affected by shutdown bug; iOS update coming
- Apple releases sixth beta of iOS 10.2 to developers
- Developers pushing back against abusers of Apple’s App Store refund policy
- Apple lobbies for shared data, more public road access to test autonomous driving systems
- Apple Store app update allows purchases from Apple Watch
- Apple releases fifth beta of iOS 10.2 to developers
- Apple reveals cause of unexpected iPhone 6s shutdowns
- Report: 99 percent of fake Apple chargers found to be unsafe
- Apple offering battery replacements for iPhone 6s models with ‘unexpected shutdown issues’ (Updated)
- Report: Fitbit to acquire Pebble
- iHome iZBT10 Zenergy Bedside Sleep Therapy Speaker
- Twelve South HiRise Duet for Apple Watch and iPhone
- IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor
- JBL Under Armour Sport Wireless Heart Rate Headphones
- Edifier e235 Luna E Speaker System
- Clamcase ClamCase+ for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Scosche BoomBottle H2O+ Waterproof Wireless Speaker
- Thermos Connected Hydration Bottle with Smart Lid
- Beats Solo3 Wireless On-Ear Headphones
- Creative iRoar Go Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10