Disappearing iPhone Calendar events | iLounge Article

Article

Disappearing iPhone Calendar events

By Jesse Hollington

Social Media & Software Editor, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, July 4, 2012
Articles Categories: Ask iLounge, iCloud, iOS, iPhone

Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

Q: My iPhone calendar seems to have a problem saving events that I try and enter for dates in the past. When I try to enter an event more than a couple of weeks old, it shows up in my calendar for a few seconds, and then suddenly disappears right before my eyes. I don’t have any problem with entering current or future events, but anything I try to enter too far back in the past just vanishes from my calendar entirely. I’ve tried creating the same event numerous times in several different ways, but it disappears every time. Any ideas?

- Kathryn

A: The likely cause of this problem is that you’re synchronizing your iPhone Calendar with iCloud or another online calendar service and your iPhone is set to sync only recent events. This option can be found under Mail, Contacts, Calendars in your iPhone Settings app. The default setting is one month, however you can tap on this option and choose from either two weeks, one month, three months or six months or simply choose All Events to sync everything in your calendar.

New events created in the iPhone Calendar outside of this time frame are still saved and synchronized to your online calendar (e.g. iCloud), but once the online calendar has been updated, they are removed from the local iPhone Calendar; hence these events appear to vanish shortly after you’ve created them. Items you have created on these older dates will actually have been saved in the cloud and you would likely be able to see them on a desktop computer; iCal for Mac, for example, automatically synchronizes all events from iCloud to your desktop calendar, regardless of the setting on your iPhone. Further, if you’re using iCloud you can log onto iCloud.com from any web browser and you should see these events in your Calendar there as well. In fact, if you adjust the sync setting above to a longer time frame—or All Events—all of these “lost” events should automatically be synced back down from the cloud and reappear; you’ll likely even see all of the instances of events that you tried to create multiple times.

Ultimately, unless you have a very large calendar going back several years, it’s probably best to just set your sync events preference to All Events, which will ensure that your entire calendar is available on your device and avoid any future confusion with vanishing events.

The most asked question at iLounge.com:

How do I copy content from my iPod/iPhone onto my computer?

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, Apple TV and iPhone Video Formats

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Mac)

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Win)

Best Speakers?

Best Headphones?

Best Case?

Best In-Car Solution?

Best Battery Extender?

Find more answers in the latest publications in our Library. Free downloads developed by the editors of iLounge!

Ask iLounge Archives:

1-24-14: Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks

1-22-14: Splitting purchased content between two iPads

12-13-13: Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers

12-11-13: Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone

12-6-13: Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac

Read more recent Ask iLounge articles...

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

« Auto-deleting Episodes in iOS Podcasts App

iOS Gems: Chrome, MiniatureCam + Podcasts »

Comments

THANK YOU!! I have a photography business and use my iPod for all my session dates. Suddenly the dates from a month or more back were all gone. So glad I found this post and changed my setting - now all is right in the world again!

Posted by Michelle on July 20, 2012 at 7:53 PM (PDT)

My calendar for the last few months have all of sudden deleted all my saved appointments, I don’t always forward info onto the next apt as I have always been able to go back to a previous date and check a location or number. So where have my past appointments disappeared to??? Help

Posted by Melanie Barcley on October 22, 2012 at 5:16 PM (PDT)

Thank you, your answer solved my problem.

[It’s a pity that Apple thinks it knows best - if I put an entry in a calendar, *I* expect it to remain there.]

Posted by Ron Hughes on October 27, 2012 at 12:14 PM (PDT)

Thank you so much for posting that info!!  You just saved me so much time and it fixed my problem immediately!  Thanks for sharing your knowledge!!

Posted by Nancy Lake on November 12, 2012 at 1:02 PM (PDT)

iphone 4
I have no sync option in the calender menu on my phone like your ilistration above.

can you help

Posted by john edwards on November 28, 2012 at 10:10 AM (PDT)

@johnedwards Go to your iCloud Settings & sync Calendars. Now check if it’s there. Hope this helps! smile

Posted by David on November 30, 2012 at 9:14 PM (PDT)

Thank you so much! I have been bumbling around my phone’s settings when linked to Itunes and had been struggling to work out how to fix the calendar problem as I run my mobile business through my calendar on my device and keep my history of client details there to save time. With your easy to follow advice, my problem has been sorted. Phew!!

Posted by Kelley walker on December 10, 2012 at 5:14 PM (PDT)

I can’t seem to find this feature on the iphone5. Is it someplace else now? HELP

Posted by Kathleen Jennison on December 19, 2012 at 7:16 PM (PDT)

Thank you very much, I just followed your advice and my problem which I’ve been suffering for months now has been sorted in no time!

Posted by Hanan on January 15, 2013 at 5:13 AM (PDT)

i cannot able to save any Reminders and Calendar events in my iPhone 5, the + option on top right corner is missing please help me out in this…

Posted by shan on January 22, 2013 at 12:18 AM (PDT)

When I got my iTouch several years ago, I imported into it all my Palm calendar entries, some dating back to the early 1990’s. It was a chore, but I figured it out, and there have been no problems; I can look back and there they are. But last week I discovered that all the iTouch calendar entries before Aug. 25, 2009, have disappeared! If I look at Yahoo calendar, which is synced to the iTouch, the entries are still there; and entries created in other calendars than iTouch for dates before 2009, are still visible on the iTouch calendar screen; it’s only the iTouch entries that have vanished.

Here’s more: If I create a new entry for August 29, 2009, say, in the iTouch calendar, it works; it’s there and it stays there. But if I create it instead for August 22, 2009, then it appears, but in a minute or so it vanishes—even though I can still see it on the Yahoo calendar.

I know this sounds crazy; but it’s making ME crazy. Any ideas?

Posted by beach004 on January 28, 2013 at 12:54 PM (PDT)

I found that I need to turn iCloud on for Calendars, but off for Contacts.

Posted by Diane Williams on January 30, 2013 at 5:17 PM (PDT)

I stopped syncing my iphone calendar with icloud and started managing multiple calendars on my iphone directly from my PC with Copy-tran Contacts.

I don’t know if this is the cure, but is certainly has averted my appointments from being removed due to some sync for one reason or another.

Posted by Gab on January 31, 2013 at 8:56 AM (PDT)

The disappearing events dates were making me lose my mind!  THANK YOU !!!!!!!

Posted by Paulysgirl on January 31, 2013 at 11:25 AM (PDT)

I have the opposite problem - my events appear on my iPhone, but have disappeared (while I watch) from my iCloud page. How do I get them back?

Posted by ctaylorjay on February 6, 2013 at 7:29 AM (PDT)

This is wonderful news and it worked. I simply changed the setting to ALL EVENTS and they all reappeared on my calendar.
THANK YOU!!!!!

Posted by Eileen on February 17, 2013 at 12:04 PM (PDT)

Have had same losing events problem for some time. Yr solution works SOOOO well—simple really. Many many thanks!!

Posted by Pete Fargher on February 19, 2013 at 6:43 AM (PDT)

Thanks so much for helping me fix this, it was so frustrating!! Very easy to understand instructions & a quick fix.

Posted by Kyla A on February 20, 2013 at 6:10 AM (PDT)

Thank you!  Googled the problem, this is the first posting I read….problem fixed in five minutes flat!  These things are normally time zappers!!

Posted by Lisa on February 25, 2013 at 12:34 PM (PDT)

Regarding your statement: “Ultimately, unless you have a very large calendar going back several years, it’s probably best to just set your sync events preference to All Events”:

This is exactly my problem. I have many entries dating back to 1999, and want to be able to view any event at any time. But if I set the device to “All Events” it means that every time I open its calendar the cloud-device syncing begins and continues for an enormous length of time. If I merely wanted to open the calendar to enter a new event for today, I’d need to wait for this long long time before I could enter because while the syncing is happening I can’t enter anything. And if I want to check the calendar a short while later, I’d again, as every time I open the app, have to wait the same long long time.  This renders my calendar basically useless for immediate use.  So, I am forced to keep it set to sync just “6 months” for smooth efficient day to day use, but this means I cannot look up what I did on some date in the more distant past because none of the past info shows up beyond the 6 months. Why can’t the app allow the data to remain visible on the device without requiring all of it all the way back to 1999? Let it sync for only 6 months, but allow the older data to remain visible.

Posted by Charlie on March 11, 2013 at 7:41 AM (PDT)

Thank you so much!!  Was very distressed when all of my calender events disappeared today!  I purchased the iphone 5 a couple of weeks ago and had synched all account from old iphone to new iphone.  After scrollling through the comments I was brave enough to alter icloud calender to on and hey presto all of my events are back!!  Thank you!!

Posted by Kara Rodwell on March 14, 2013 at 9:09 PM (PDT)

God bless u! Thanks so much

Posted by Kristine on April 6, 2013 at 11:49 PM (PDT)

Thank you!!! Just what I needed x

Posted by Michelle Hannah on May 2, 2013 at 11:53 PM (PDT)

my iphone 5 calender had a custom option in the repeats, but it has disappeared a couple weeks ago. An update for facebook was suggested which I let update when I went to apps to look for a gps map app. How do I get the custom option back so I can ask for repeats every 2nd tuesday for example. Thanks so much for the help. This option was so helpful and without it I’m going nuts. Thanks

Posted by michele godfrey on May 14, 2013 at 6:48 PM (PDT)

Thank you so much, it was driving me mad, just couldn’t understand where all my past inputs had gone. like another person said you expect what you put in to stay there

Posted by Neets on May 16, 2013 at 2:14 PM (PDT)

Thank you!  You fixed my problem in seconds.

Posted by Angel Girl on June 19, 2013 at 5:02 PM (PDT)

Awesome. Thanks a bunch!

Posted by Rev. Run on July 5, 2013 at 10:35 AM (PDT)

Thank you so much for that info. I was trying to sort some of my freelance invoices from over a month ago and everything had disappeared. Panicked so much as had no other record of the dates I’d worked. Now they are all back. Relief. Thank you again.

Posted by shazbox on July 10, 2013 at 5:53 AM (PDT)

Thank you!

Posted by Ivan on July 17, 2013 at 7:22 PM (PDT)