Displaying lyrics on iPod touch
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: How do I get lyrics on my iPod touch? I know you’re supposed to go to the track information and paste the lyrics in there, but they’re supposed to come up when you tap the song on the iPod touch and for some reason mine doesnt work. Any suggestions?
A: Firstly, ensure that you are using a recent iPod touch firmware version. Lyrics support was not introduced until v1.1.3, so if your firmware version is older than that then your iPod will simply not display lyrics under any circumstances. You can confirm your iPod touch firmware version by selecting Settings, General, About on the iPod touch itself, or looking at the version number in the “Summary” screen which appears in iTunes when you connect your iPod.
If you’re running v1.1.3 or later and you have pasted the lyrics into the lyrics field for the track under the iTunes track information and they’re not showing up on your iPod, the most likely problem is that the track has not yet been re-transferred onto the iPod.
If you are using managing your iPod content manually, you will need to drag-and-drop the updated tracks from your iTunes library back onto the iPod. In manual mode, changes made in the iTunes library do not sync to the iPod in any way—the iPod and the iTunes library are treated as two distinct libraries. In this case, if you make changes to tracks in the iTunes library, you must re-copy those tracks onto the iPod for the information to be updated there.
If you are using automatic synchronization and you are certain you have synchronized your iPod after adding lyrics, then it is possible that the track information simply was not transferred to the iPod for whatever reason. In this case, the easiest solution is to remove the affected tracks from the iPod and then re-transfer them on. If you are syncing specific playlists, simply remove these tracks from those playlist(s) that you sync with your iPod, perform an automatic sync, and then re-add those tracks back to these playlists and sync again.
Alternatively, you can set your iPod to “Sync only checked” items (found on the main “Summary” screen when your iPod is connected to iTunes), and then UNcheck those tracks that you would like to remove from your iPod, sync the iPod (to actually remove them), and then RE-check them and sync the iPod again (to put them back on). This will ensure that these tracks and any related track information such as lyrics is updated on the iPod itself.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iOS 10.3 to improve in-app rating experience, allow developers to respond to App Store reviews
- Apple releases first iOS 10.3, tvOS 10.2 betas
- Pokémon Duel released for iOS
- Report: India likely to reject Apple’s tax break requests
- Apple releases iTunes 12.5.5
- Apple releases tvOS 10.1.1, watchOS 3.1.3
- Apple releases iOS 10.2.1
- Foxconn considering $7B investment in ‘highly automated’ U.S. facility for Apple
- KGI: 3D Touch upgrade coming in new iPhone, Touch ID and facial recognition upgrades in future model
- Apple files lawsuit accusing Qualcomm of withholding patent royalties
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10