Displaying release dates on iPod
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have just started adding album names and release year dates to my songs in iTunes by highlighting the song then adding info via the info tab. Everything looks fine in iTunes and I can see all the song/album/year info, however, when I sync my iPod classic and play the songs, the iPod doesn’t display the release year. It shows the Song Title, Artist & Album but not the Year. Is there a way or setting to make the year also display with the song/artist/album info on the iPod? I have tried going through the settings in iTunes and the iPod but can’t seem to make it happen. I’m sure it used to display the year date when I first got it, but now that I want it to, it won’t. If could you please advise if there is a setting I have missed that can make this happen, it would be greatly appreciated.
A: Unfortunately, none of the current iPod models provide the ability to display any of the more advanced metadata fields such as Year within the iPod interface itself. Specifically, the iPod is limited to displaying fields such as artist, album and track name as well as the album artwork and lyric information that may be stored within your music files.
You can work around this limitation, however, by adding the year information into another field where it may be useful. For instance, many users choose to add the year as a suffix to the album name or to each track. Another useful place to store this information would be within the lyrics field for each track. Although this won’t show up in your track listings on your iPod, you can see it while listening to an individual track simply by pressing the center button a few times to bring up the lyric display. This can be a useful field for storing other track notes as well, since the general comments field from iTunes is not available on the iPod either.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple releases updated iOS Developer Design Resources
- Apple’s exclusive audiobook deal with Audible ends in Europe following EU antitrust scrutiny
- Nintendo officially announces Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS, coming Feb. 2
- Rumor: Apple working on second-generation Apple Pencil
- GarageBand 2.2 adds Logic Pro X integration, Alchemy synth, Multi-Take Recording
- FTC files complaint against Qualcomm citing royalty deal with Apple
- India mulling manufacturing regulation changes which could woo Apple
- Apple Music creative team discusses the service’s exclusives, future
- Apple raising UK App Store prices by more than 25 percent
- Iovine fuels speculation about Apple’s interest in scripted TV shows
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10