Displaying singles in iPod’s Artists menu
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: How do I get songs from certain artists to appear under the “Music → Artists” menu of my iPod if some of the artists songs have album information and some don’t?
For example, I might have a full album from an artist, and then a single track from the same artist, but without an album tag. When I go to “Music → Artist”, the single track without album information will be gone. The only way I can find the single track is if I go to “Music → Songs” and find it in there.
I have thousands of MP3s, and finding songs by artist is my preference. Is there any way I can get all tracks to appear under the Artists menu without having to add album information to every single track?
A: This is a bug (or, at least, bug-like “behavior”) that iLounge first noticed with the original release of the fifth-generation and nano iPods last year. Unfortunately, we’ve seen no sign from Apple that they consider it a bug, it clearly hasn’t been resolved through several firmware upgrades since the initial release.
However, we’ve since resorted to a simple, but clearly less than optimal, work-around; we simply tag all tracks without information in the “Album” field with “Unknown Album.” This makes the iPod treat such tracks as members of a second album, allowing them to display in the Artists menu.
Sound like a pain? It’s really not. Simply sort your tracks in iTunes by “Album” (click on the “Album” header), select all the tracks with no album tag, choose “Get Info” from the File menu, and add the “Unknown Album” designation to the Album field. Click OK, and you’re set.
But wait… now iTunes collects all these songs together when sorting by Album? Yes. However, if you sort by “Album by Artist” (by clicking repeatedly on the “Album” header), iTunes will sort the albums as you’d expect.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: iPhone 8 likely to come in three glass-backed sizes
- Report: New Apple TV app to provide show recommendations
- Apple’s German website adds Apple Pay support page, but still no launch
- Notes from Apple’s Q4 2016 earnings call
- Apple Q4 2016: $46.9B revenue, 45.5M iPhones + 9.2M iPads sold
- Apple reportedly hiring engineers from BlackBerry, developing car operating system in Canada
- Apple releases PowerBeats3 Wireless earphones
- Apple Pay launch in Japan encounters major problems
- Apple releases iOS 10.1, tvOS 10.0.1, watchOS 3.1
- New details about Apple Watch Nike+ exclusives, availability
- Bowers & Wilkins P3 Series 2 Headphones
- Incase Icon, Pop, and Textured Snap for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Philips Hue Motion Sensor
- Bowers & Wilkins P9 Signature Headphones
- Tech Armor FlexProtect and Shock Flex for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- SwitchEasy Flash and Fleur for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Blue Microphones Raspberry Mobile Microphone
- Incipio Haven for iPhone 7 and Reprieve Sport for iPhone 7 Plus
- Mophie Hold Force Magnetic Case System for iPhone 7
- Speck Presidio and Tech21 Evo Tactical for iPhone 7
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps