Displaying TV Show seasons separately in iTunes
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I recently purchased Sex and the City Season 6, but they released it in two parts: Sex and the City Season 6 (Part One) and Season 6 (Part Two). These two parts each have different cover art, which I have, but when I imported them into iTunes, they are all mashed together in one Season 6 grouping. Is there a way to separate these so that when I have the icon view on it will show Sex and the City Season 6 with the first cover art and the part one episodes and then SEPARATELY show Season
6 with the second cover art and the part two episodes?
A: Unfortunately, while you could basically fake this out in previous versions of iTunes by changing the “Album” field, in iTunes 8 this is no longer possible as TV shows are grouped exclusively by the show name and season information, regardless of the sort order. Although you can sort group your TV Shows at a higher level by information such as name, year or artist, the individual episodes themselves are always grouped by the show title and season.
Further, since the “Season Number” field only takes a numeric value, it is not possible to add any extra information such as a “6a” or “6-1” to this field. You could of course simply change the second part to something like “Season 7” but this would create problems if they ever decided to produce a seventh season.
About the only other workaround for this right now would be to change the show name entirely for the affected seasons. In other words list the actual show name field as “Sex and the City, Season 6, Part 1” and “Sex and the City, Season 6, Part 2” or similar. This would result in your season 6 episodes being grouped under entirely different titles, but would work to separate out the two parts.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Apple acquires security company LegbaCore
- Zagg to acquire Mophie for $100 million
- Report: iPhone 7 to include flush camera lens, drop rear antenna bands
- Report: iPhone 5se, iPad Air 3 set for March 15 unveil
- Alleged iPad Air 3 drawing shows Smart Connector, four speakers, camera flash
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!