Downloading podcasts outside of iTunes
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I bought a whole lot of podcasts from a site called “Instant Anatomy”, which I think goes through Amazon. They sent me the links to the podcasts and I downloaded them and put them on my iPod. But for some reason when I dragged them onto my iPod they got saved in “Recently Purchased Songs”, rather than in Podcasts. How do I move them to podcasts?
A: Only podcasts that are downloaded through iTunes directly are automatically tagged as podcasts. Anything else you import manually gets tagged as a music track by default, and therefore appears alongside your normal music.
You can re-assign individual tracks as podcasts simply by changing their “Media Kind” setting, which can be found by selecting a track, choosing File, Get Info from the iTunes menu and then selecting the “Options” tab.
However, you’re probably better off simply subscribing to the podcast series directly in iTunes itself, rather than downloading and importing the episodes separately. You may want to search the iTunes Store to see if you can find the Podcast there—podcasts are available for free through iTunes and the catalog is very extensive. If it’s not in the iTunes Store Podcast Directory, then you can still subscribe to it manually as long as you have a link to the podcast. Simply choose Subscribe to Podcast from the iTunes Advanced menu and a dialog box will appear where you can enter or paste the URL to the podcast.
Once you’ve pasted in the URL and clicked OK, the Podcast should appear in the Podcasts section in iTunes, and new episodes will be downloaded automatically. You can also download older episodes from here by clicking on the “Get” button that appears beside the episode titles.
For more information see our Complete Guide to iTunes Audiobooks, Podcasts + iTunes U.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: AirPods delay due to problems with wireless audio synchronization
- Apple offering hands-on demos of Super Mario Run in stores
- Report: Apple pursuing studio agreements for early movie rentals
- Apple releases seventh beta of iOS 10.2 to developers
- Apple makes its picks for best iPhone, iPad and Apple TV apps of 2016
- Apple acknowledges Apple Music now includes ‘all the benefits of iTunes Match’
- Apple Music tops 20 million subscribers
- Apple blames ‘external factors’ for iPhone fires in China
- Rumor: 2017 iPhones won’t include glass chassis or wireless charging; will add red color
- Top Apple supplier Foxconn planning U.S. investment
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Sen.se GuardPeanut
- iHome iZBT10 Zenergy Bedside Sleep Therapy Speaker
- Twelve South HiRise Duet for Apple Watch and iPhone
- IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor
- JBL Under Armour Sport Wireless Heart Rate Headphones
- Edifier e235 Luna E Speaker System
- Clamcase ClamCase+ for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10