Downloading podcasts outside of iTunes
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I bought a whole lot of podcasts from a site called “Instant Anatomy”, which I think goes through Amazon. They sent me the links to the podcasts and I downloaded them and put them on my iPod. But for some reason when I dragged them onto my iPod they got saved in “Recently Purchased Songs”, rather than in Podcasts. How do I move them to podcasts?
A: Only podcasts that are downloaded through iTunes directly are automatically tagged as podcasts. Anything else you import manually gets tagged as a music track by default, and therefore appears alongside your normal music.
You can re-assign individual tracks as podcasts simply by changing their “Media Kind” setting, which can be found by selecting a track, choosing File, Get Info from the iTunes menu and then selecting the “Options” tab.
However, you’re probably better off simply subscribing to the podcast series directly in iTunes itself, rather than downloading and importing the episodes separately. You may want to search the iTunes Store to see if you can find the Podcast there—podcasts are available for free through iTunes and the catalog is very extensive. If it’s not in the iTunes Store Podcast Directory, then you can still subscribe to it manually as long as you have a link to the podcast. Simply choose Subscribe to Podcast from the iTunes Advanced menu and a dialog box will appear where you can enter or paste the URL to the podcast.
Once you’ve pasted in the URL and clicked OK, the Podcast should appear in the Podcasts section in iTunes, and new episodes will be downloaded automatically. You can also download older episodes from here by clicking on the “Get” button that appears beside the episode titles.
For more information see our Complete Guide to iTunes Audiobooks, Podcasts + iTunes U.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Instagram 9.2 update for iOS includes pinch-to-zoom on photos and videos
- Judge dismisses key claims of Monster’s case against Beats over Apple deal
- Apple adds 2TB iCloud storage option
- Spec sheet shows Lightning EarPods, Lightning headphone adapter packed in with 256GB iPhone 7 Plus
- Papa John’s releases pizza-ordering app for Apple TV
- Apple call Australian banks’ request a ‘detriment to consumers’
- EU determines Apple should pay 13 billion euros in back taxes to Ireland; Apple plans appeal
- SIM tray photos hint at alleged ‘gloss black’ iPhone color
- Trademark filings hint at wireless EarPods, two new Apple Watch models
- Report: EU to rule against Apple-Ireland tax deals, recommend Apple pay 1B+ Euros
- Kanex GoPower Watch Portable Battery for Apple Watch
- Nuvyyo Tablo Over-the-Air Television DVR
- Belkin PowerHouse Charge Dock for Apple Watch and iPhone
- Western Digital My Cloud (OS 3)
- Distil Union Stanley Stand
- Philips Sonicare FlexCare Platinum Connected Bluetooth Toothbrush
- Audeze EL-8 Titanium Over-Ear Headphones
- Defined Corp Dome Stand for Apple Watch and iPhone
- Speck StyleFolio Pencil for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Audeze Sine On-Ear Headphone
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app