Drivers and Software for 4G iPods
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I bought a used fourth-generation iPod and it only came with the USB cable. I’m missing the iPod CD with the driver. Do you where I can buy that CD or is there anything else that i can do so that my computer will recognize the iPod?
A: Actually, there are no iPod-specific drivers, per se. Everything you need can be obtained within the latest version of iTunes from Apple’s Web Site. Simply go to http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/ and get the version of iTunes appropriate for your operating system (Windows or Mac) and then install it on your computer.
Once you’ve done this, connect the iPod, and it should simply appear within iTunes and be ready to go.
If you’ve installed the latest version of iTunes, and the iPod is still not appearing when you connect it, you can try using a different port or USB cable. It would also be a good idea to check for more information on Apple’s Support site at http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/ or post more information in our iLounge Discussion Forums.
Note that most of the support issues concerning iPod USB connectivity are the same across all models of iPod, so troubleshooting steps in this area that are related to the fifth-generation iPod with video will apply equally to the fourth-generation iPod as well.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Hackers claim to have access to millions of iCloud accounts, demand ransom from Apple
- Apple’s Siri in the running to voice control room functions at Marriott’s Aloft hotels
- Apple releases iTunes 12.6 with new cross-device movie rental feature
- Apple introduces Clips video app
- Apple reveals(RED) iPhone 7, 7 Plus models, doubles storage of iPhone SE
- Apple drops 32GB iPad mini 4, reduces price of 128GB model and discontinues iPad mini 2
- Apple unveils new upgraded entry-level 9.7” iPad, replacing iPad Air 2
- Apple Store going down for ‘maintenance’ tomorrow morning, sparking rumors of product launch
- Politicians in New Zealand raise alarm about Apple’s tax arrangements
- Fabricate announces Nearbuds for AirPods
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Pioneer Rayz Plus Lightning Connector Earphones
- BEEM United BeMe D200 Lightning Connector Earphones
- Jam Audio JAM Xterior Max Rugged Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- HiFiMAN Edition S Headphones
- Divoom Timebox Mini Bluetooth Speaker
- iClever BoostSound BTS-09 Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundcast VG1 Bluetooth Speaker
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10