Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: What is a good way to edit all my MP3 tags so that they are organized when I transfer them all onto my iPod? Some of my artists’ names differ in their syntax or spelling, and some of my songs don’t even have an artist tag. This makes iPod browsing very difficult.
A: You’re absolutely right that maintaining good tags on your iTunes files is very important to iPod navigation. Most of us toil over our tags, ensuring that browsing our tunes on the iPod will be as logical as possible. Tagging is usually a boring, manual task, but once you’ve completed all your existing files, then keeping up as your library grows is easy.
We’ve written a tutorial on using iTunes to tag your music files. The article, found here, supplies a few tips and tricks that we find useful when tagging our tracks. For example, how to tag multiple tracks with common information (artist, album, year, etc.) all at once.
Several programs do exist, however, to try and simply and/or automate the process. One of our favorite mass-tagging utility for Windows is Tag&Rename, which allows you to glean Artist, Song, or Album information from the filename, or rename files from the tags. It’s also generally more powerful and friendly to large tagging jobs than is iTunes. Other programs are more ambitious in their automation, attempting to re-tag files using whatever information it can find. The more “automatic” the process, however, the more unreliable it is. You’re likely going to have some work to do no matter how you do it. Try a few options and see what works best for your library.
If you use a utility outside of iTunes, you’ll need to re-add the files to your music library after you’re done with them.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple pulls over-the-air iOS 10.3 update for iPhone 5, 5c; iOS 10.3.2 seems to end support for them
- Supplier Responsibility Report, recent hires hint at Project Titan research
- Apple now rejecting apps with references to price in their name
- Apple Pay now live in Taiwan
- Apple releases iOS 10.3.2 beta to developers
- Rumor: Apple may add cellular capability to next Apple Watch, create USB-C/Lightning hybrid
- Urbanears launches new lineup of Wi-Fi Connected Speakers
- Apple adds ability for developers respond to apps reviews, tweaks in-app rating prompt rules
- Report: 10.5” iPad Pro could still arrive this spring
- Apple’s Pages, Numbers, and Keynote apps gain Touch ID support, other improvements
- AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon Headphones
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Pioneer Rayz Plus Lightning Connector Earphones
- BEEM United BeMe D200 Lightning Connector Earphones
- Jam Audio JAM Xterior Max Rugged Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- HiFiMAN Edition S Headphones
- Divoom Timebox Mini Bluetooth Speaker
- iClever BoostSound BTS-09 Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10