Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: What is a good way to edit all my MP3 tags so that they are organized when I transfer them all onto my iPod? Some of my artists’ names differ in their syntax or spelling, and some of my songs don’t even have an artist tag. This makes iPod browsing very difficult.
A: You’re absolutely right that maintaining good tags on your iTunes files is very important to iPod navigation. Most of us toil over our tags, ensuring that browsing our tunes on the iPod will be as logical as possible. Tagging is usually a boring, manual task, but once you’ve completed all your existing files, then keeping up as your library grows is easy.
We’ve written a tutorial on using iTunes to tag your music files. The article, found here, supplies a few tips and tricks that we find useful when tagging our tracks. For example, how to tag multiple tracks with common information (artist, album, year, etc.) all at once.
Several programs do exist, however, to try and simply and/or automate the process. One of our favorite mass-tagging utility for Windows is Tag&Rename, which allows you to glean Artist, Song, or Album information from the filename, or rename files from the tags. It’s also generally more powerful and friendly to large tagging jobs than is iTunes. Other programs are more ambitious in their automation, attempting to re-tag files using whatever information it can find. The more “automatic” the process, however, the more unreliable it is. You’re likely going to have some work to do no matter how you do it. Try a few options and see what works best for your library.
If you use a utility outside of iTunes, you’ll need to re-add the files to your music library after you’re done with them.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iPad Air 3, iPhone 5se expected to be available March 18
- Apple filming original ‘dark drama’ television series featuring Dr. Dre
- Apple under fire for patent infringement from haptic feedback company Immersion
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- VRS Design Crystal Bumper, High Pro Shield + Verge Active for iPhone 6/6s
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!