Editorial: Initial Thoughts On Steve Jobs’ Resignation, And Apple Under CEO Tim Cook | iLounge Article

Article

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, August 24, 2011
Articles Categories: Editorials

When the news broke earlier tonight that Apple’s Steve Jobs had stepped down from his duties as CEO, and had asked—humbly—to serve as the company’s Chairman, a director, and as a regular employee, our editors discussed whether we should share our thoughts beyond the specifics of the story. In the age of Twitter and mass over-editorializing, people now expect immediate reactions when any major story breaks. Yet as Apple has shown us over the past several years in particular, there are times when it’s better to wait and say nothing rather than speaking quickly—particularly when emotions are running high, as they are right now. Given how momentous this particular occasion is, we do want to say a few things before the dust has settled. There will obviously be more to share in the days to come.

1. Our first and still most important thoughts concern the continued health of Steve Jobs. We write about and use Apple products every day, but our interest goes beyond the technology and the company; we admire the visionary man who made it all possible, and hope for the best for him. Regardless of whether he continues in a semi-active role at Apple for years or completely stops working tomorrow, Jobs has already done so much for this world—both specifically and inspirationally—that he deserves every bit of rest and privacy he can get during this challenging time. Our thoughts and wishes are with you, Steve Jobs, and with your family.

2. The question of how Apple will fare as a company will be discussed ad infinitum in the days and weeks to come, but it’s not one that should be contemplated lightly in the wake of tonight’s news. Knee-jerk “oh no” or “everything’s fine” reactions provide little texture or understanding of how Apple actually operates; many of these reactions appear to be more concerned with the company’s stock price and stability than the continued greatness of the products it creates. Until we know who will replace new Apple CEO Tim Cook in his prior and critical role as COO, and what other management changes may be necessary to shore Apple up on the creative and marketing side, speculating as to the future will be all but pointless.

3. Finally, we congratulate Apple on making the smart and logical choice to bring Tim Cook into that role as CEO, as he has worked magic in improving Apple’s operations every quarter for years now. There is no perfect choice to replace a leader of Steve Jobs’ caliber, and it surely can be argued that a master of production and distribution is not enough to helm a ship that depends upon great products to generate continued demand. But there is every indication that Tim Cook understands his limits, appreciates the value of teamwork in Apple’s successes, and will work hard to continue Jobs’ legacy at Apple. This is not a company known to consumers for playing things safe, but behind the scenes, it takes incredible power to coordinate massive domestic and international rollouts, and Apple has had far more successes in these regards than stumbles.

We welcome your comments and thoughts below.

« iPhone + iPad Gems: Edge Extended, Peggle HD + Sprinkle: Water Splashing Fire Fighting Fun!

iPhone + iPad Gems: Cubes vs. Spheres, iBlast Moki 2 HD, iGunCon + Phoenix HD »

Comments

Well…DEFINITELY the end of an era. I remember fondly getting my first Mac. A Sage iMac in 1998 that still works today! Along with everyone here at iLounge, I wish Mr. Jobs and his family all the peace and happiness in his retirement, along with continued good health. Thank you Steve for all the great products you had a hand in creating over the years! God Bless you, sir!

Posted by Michael on August 24, 2011 at 8:21 PM (PDT)

I got my first Apple product in 2004, which was the 3rd generaton iPod. Since then I have slowly moved to the Mac family. I now own an iMac late 2009 model, a MacBook Pro early 2011 model, a MacBook Air mid-2011 model, all iterations of the iPhone and iPad.

I think the story of Apple is one of the greatest stories that our generation has lived through and the protagonist is Steve Jobs. It is sad to see him step down as CEO, but I do hope that he continues to help Apple push the boundries of consumer electronics and personal computing. But most of all I wish he is in good health.

As you said in the editorial, even if he stopped work tomorrow, he has left a lasting impression on everyone who uses an Apple product.

Posted by Sreedhar on August 24, 2011 at 10:16 PM (PDT)

Although it’s sad that Steve Jobs is officially leaving Apple as its CEO, we should remember that Steve has always been deeply involved in the company, even when we was on leave. I don’t expect that to change.

The other thing folks should remember is Apple is more than Steve Jobs. Though Jobs gave many keynotes and memorable moments, it takes an army of smart, dedicated people to bring products like the Mac, iPhone and iPad to life. With key personnel like Tim Cook and Jonathan Ives, plus a product roadmap stretching years into the future, Apple isn’t going to disappear anytime soon.

Posted by cxc273 on August 25, 2011 at 5:45 AM (PDT)

Even though my primary computer is a PC right now, I still consider myself a dyed-in-the-wool Mac user. My trusty iPad is always by my side, and I’ve been using Macs since my days in junior high school, when the black and white Mac Classic made me swear off DOS forever. I was the proud owner of a PowerMac 7100/66 back in the day, as well as a Performa 410, the original Bondi Blue iMac and a lovely (ick) Dalmatian iMac.

The man has made his mark on Apple from the beginning, and even when he wasn’t there, you could see the original ideas shining through. I’m just glad he’s staying with the company in whatever role. Keynotes wouldn’t be the same without him, and I hope he’s there for whatever event happens in September.

Posted by Daniel S. on August 25, 2011 at 6:40 AM (PDT)

When we think of apple, we think of the protagonist Steve Jobs.  He is and always will be Apple, the greatest stories that our generation has lived through.

I remember drafting blueprints on a Mac around 10 years ago.  At that time, I knew that a Mac is the upper class of computers.  Many years later, I’ve got attached to the nano :D,.. I knew of the iPhone 6 month in advance and I was ready for it.

Now, here I am with a iPhone, PowerMac, mini, apple TV, iPad…. Apple amazes me all the time.

It is hard to see Steve Jobs leaving ... It is strange because for many of us, he impacted our life’s tremendously.  It’s like he is family for us.

I hope that his health is getting better ...

Posted by Dennis on August 25, 2011 at 7:54 AM (PDT)

My initial reaction was to view this announcement as a blow to our country. Apple is an American success story. Steve Jobs is one of the last icons of the Internet era. I have great respect for Mark Zuckerberg, but I do not see him as in the same league as Mr. Jobs. Risk-taking, innovation, creativity, guts… these are traits Steve has demonstrated mastery of in spades, and ones that our country seems to be sorely lacking. If Steve leaves us prematurely, it will, to me, be seen as a harbinger of bad news for America. I have tremendous respect for Bill Gates, but more for his amazing commitment to charity than for his technical/creative prowess. I hope that my perspective is just the result of living and working here in Washington, DC, and of feeling burned out and helpless as our government gets sold to the highest bidder. Steve and One Infinite Loop remain in my mind as the best of America, as symbols of our ingenuity and capability. I am obviously imbuing the man with more meaning than I’m sure he would ever feel comfortable with, but this event, in my mind, is a collective loss for America. I wish him only the best.

Posted by Paul Rodriguez on August 25, 2011 at 7:56 AM (PDT)

First off, I agree with your hopes that Steve recovers. As a great man who has changed so many aspects of the computing industry, I hope he is able to regain his health and have many happy years to come.

My struggles with Cook are twofold. First, during Jobs’ last extended leave, the one major product Cook oversaw was…the iPod Shuffle with no buttons. For a company that was seen as unable to fail, the product was a flop. Second, to quote Jobs: “Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks. But of course, if you dig deeper, it’s really how it works. The design of the Mac wasn’t what it looked like, although that was part of it. Primarily, it was how it worked. To design something really well, you have to get it.” The huge piece of what makes Apple Apple is the product design, something that Cook seems to have limited experience with coming from the distribution side. I hope I’m wrong and fear I’m right about Cook.

Posted by Dave on August 25, 2011 at 11:47 AM (PDT)

When I look at these two men I see ...

Steve Jobs
- Commander of the army
- Philosopher -> Innovator
- Master of his Domain
- Respected / Feared by employees and
  competitors

Tim Cook
- Tennis pro at the local country club

Posted by David on August 25, 2011 at 1:08 PM (PDT)

@ Michael, Sage was 1999, but it’s OK - I often work less well than my old Macs too smile

As the others have said, i recall my first (512ke) Mac from 1995 like it was yesterday.  I’ve made a good living with Apple products and enjoy using them as well.  Even AAPL has helped with a new roof on my house, so I have a real fondness for this company and the Mac that built it.
Best to Steve and family.

Posted by sb on August 25, 2011 at 3:55 PM (PDT)

Thank you sb! I caught that too late after writing it last night:) And you’re right: I’m working a little less efficiently these days. Comes with age.

Posted by Michael on August 25, 2011 at 7:53 PM (PDT)

What are the initials of Steve Jobs, CEO of Apple?

Posted by Benhamed on August 30, 2011 at 6:46 AM (PDT)