Editorial: Thank you, Steve
Too often, editorials are reserved for criticism or journalistic rambling, so this one will be the opposite: short and sweet.
Around this time last year, the music industry faced a major threat: itself. The heads of major labels were publicly pushing Apple Computer to change the pricing structure of the iTunes Music Store - predictably, with the primary goal of increasing prices on popular new music. There was a very real possibility that some labels’ music might disappear from the Store.
Last September, rather than bowing to the labels’ demands, Apple CEO Steve Jobs took a bold position. He faced down the suppliers of one of his most important products - music - and publicly called them out as “greedy.” Then he said what virtually every consumer of legal digital music believes: this is the wrong time to raise prices, and the consequence would most certainly be a return to mass piracy at a critical juncture in digital distribution’s history.
He was right: the mainstreaming of legal downloading is still a work in progress, and mainstream consumers require aggressive prices. The power of his observation was only underscored by his company’s past willingness to charge premiums wherever possible - if Apple says a price is too high, that might just be enough to prove it.
Ultimately, the labels were forced to concede to his terms - 99 cent songs will continue to dominate iTunes, at least for now.
So on behalf of our readers, and hopefully consumers as a whole, we’d like to say “thank you” to Steve Jobs for fighting a public battle to keep prices reasonable on something we all enjoy. It took guts to stand up to criticism from multiple corners, and strength to prevail. We’ll be downloading a few tracks tonight as a token of gratitude, and encouraging our readers to do the same.
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- Editorial: Why iOS 7 Will Succeed, Despite Divisive Issues
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple adds vehicles to list of company’s activities in Switzerland
- Cook: Apple Watch to be available outside U.S. in April
- Apple Watch to have low energy ‘Power Reserve’ mode
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Cook: Apple Watch ‘designed to be able to replace car keys’
- Apple again under fire as Ericsson escalates legal action
- Apple announces ‘Spring Forward’ event for March 9
- Brikk unveils opulent Apple Watch line priced up to $75,000
- Apple Maps adds new third-party data providers
- Apple ordered to pay $532.9m in iTunes patent infringement case
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Incipio Clarion and Faraday for iPad Air 2
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?