Enhanced podcasts menu | iLounge Article

Article

Enhanced podcasts menu

By Jerrod H.

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, September 13, 2006
Articles Categories: Ask iLounge, iTunes

Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

Q: On enhanced podcasts with chapter markers, such as the ‘iTunes New Music Tuesdays’ podcast, how can you browse the chapters in iTunes 7… the buttons from previous versions of iTunes have disappeared!

- Anonymous

A: In iTunes 7, the chapter browsing functionality has been relocated to a text menu in iTunes’ menubar, which (like the previous icon) becomes viewable only when the currently playing item is equipped with chapter markers.

This menu item, shown below, appears directly to the left of the “Help” menu.

Other than being relocated, the new menu behaves the same way as the old one, with thumbnail artwork previews, chapter titles, and time stamps linking to the appropriate position in the file.

Note also that iTunes’ new downloadable full-length movies are also equipped with chapter markers similar in concept to regular DVD chapters, and nearly identical in function to enhanced podcasts.

The most asked question at iLounge.com:

How do I copy content from my iPod/iPhone onto my computer?

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, Apple TV and iPhone Video Formats

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Mac)

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Win)

Best Speakers?

Best Headphones?

Best Case?

Best In-Car Solution?

Best Battery Extender?

Find more answers in the latest publications in our Library. Free downloads developed by the editors of iLounge!

Ask iLounge Archives:

1-24-14: Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks

1-22-14: Splitting purchased content between two iPads

12-13-13: Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers

12-11-13: Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone

12-6-13: Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac

Read more recent Ask iLounge articles...

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

« Album artwork retrieval problems

Audio severely distorted with static »

Comments

Wow, I can’t BELIEVE the bad advice I just read!  Three times in the last two years upgrading iTunes has completely erased my library.  If I didn’t back up my library files BEFORE I installed, I would have been screwed.

This is highly irresponsible of iLounge to not tell users to back up the library files first.  Further compounding the lack of backup advice is the false statement that you can feel 100% safe!

ALL users should back up iTunes Library.itl and iTunes Music Library.xml before installing any upgrades.

Posted by stark23x on September 14, 2006 at 12:30 AM (PDT)

Stark23x -

We’ve revised our answer substantially since the original post - thanks. As the question was focused on the design of the upgrade, so also were we, initially.

You’re right, however: practical experiences can be disastrously different from Apple’s upgrade design intent, and a good backup solution is paramount to the longevity of your Music library, as we’ve stressed in several tutorials.

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on September 14, 2006 at 3:32 AM (PDT)

I have found the album artwork deal to be a try, try and then try again deal. For many albums I would right click on the first track and select “Get Album Artwork” and would get nothing but if I continued to do this on other tracks within the album the artwork would eventually show up. This didn’t work every time but it worked more than half the time and I’ve now got a whole bunch of album covers. And they have the obsure stuff too. I got the cover for the album “Resevoir” by Indecision. All you old heads in VA know who I mean. I was stunned when that one showed up.

Posted by richardfoc on September 14, 2006 at 7:41 AM (PDT)

If you are on Windows, you can try TuneSleeve (free) to download album artwork for your iTunes library:

Posted by Beruk on September 14, 2006 at 7:55 PM (PDT)

When I hit the See All link in the top right corner of the NEW RELEASES box in the main pane of the iTMS 7 store, I now see a limited number of album covers. in iTMS 6, I saw a text list of all of the new releases. It was quite a long list with lots of hidden gems. I can’t find a button to being back the text -only list. Is it there?

Posted by michaelhallca on September 15, 2006 at 8:05 PM (PDT)

I am familiar with the new releases list in iTunes 6, and would use that to find new music.  I don’t appreciate most of the popular music that shows up in the 3x6 list each week.
I cannot see it either.  I’ve gone to “See all”, and I see a blank page with the 3x6 list of albumn covers at the top.

Posted by black fox on September 19, 2006 at 11:11 AM (PDT)

I have lost the Itune libary, but still have the music and video on my ipod how can i get it back.

Posted by mls on October 9, 2006 at 9:46 AM (PDT)

I recently updated Itunes to 7.0.3 and since then, it recognizes my Ipod as “HP Pavilion”, which is my computer’s name, and no longer as “Andy Ipod”.  I have a 20GB Click Wheel Ipod and Itunes sees no music on my IPOD, and also says I have used 24GB of memory and have an available 154GB left. My computer itself has only a 40GB hard drive!  Now, when I unplug the Ipod from my computer, it shows all my songs as normal.  I contaced Apple support, and they told me nothing can be done.  If anyone can make any sense of this and help a guy out, I would greatly appreciate it.  Please email me at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).  Thanks again!
Andy

Posted by AndyShaddix on November 16, 2006 at 12:01 PM (PDT)

When I try to update to itunes 7.2 I get an error message saying I have to uninstall my previous version, then install the new version.  Will that erase my library? I’ve seen replies saying I should back up my library first, but I wanted to know if this is necessary, or a precaution.

Posted by cmitch232 on April 6, 2007 at 10:27 AM (PDT)

I just bought two games for my iPod. However, for some reason they are not going from my computer to my iPod. When I click the thumbnail for the game in iTunes, there is none of theis “authorization prompting” stuf coming up as mentioned above. In fact, nothing happens at all. What’s wrong here?

Posted by MissAbyss on August 9, 2007 at 10:39 AM (PDT)

.  Truly times to be remembered, and cherished.

It’s Not Just Our Game

The game is shared now.  With other players, and other nations.  Everyone plays, and their current and future generations are building their own great hockey memories.  Andthat’s OK.  I just wonder, if those memories will rule their hearts and nations one day as they do ours

Posted by rrekerloui on October 12, 2011 at 4:08 AM (PDT)