Excluding songs from Shuffle
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have a 5G 30GB iPod. While I love iTunes and the iPod interface, and also enjoy listening to comedy and other talk tracks (like podcasts). Unfortunately, this results in having comedy come up while I’m listening to music. It’s annoying and distracting, but I would like to keep the comedy for when I feel like it. Is there any way to designate tracks or podcasts to not show up in shuffle?
A: There are several ways to do this.
In iTunes, you’ve probably noticed the checkmarks next to each track. When unchecked, a song will not be “shuffled to” in iTunes. In fact, it won’t play at all unless you specifically ask iTunes to do so. However, this behavior does not transfer to the iPod’s “Shuffle Songs” feature.
Luckily, there is a second way of accomplishing this that does. In the latest versions of iTunes, there is a checkbox in the “Options” panel of any song’s “Get Info” window called “Skip when shuffling.” This option does apply to the iPod’s “Shuffle Songs” feature.
However, this still isn’t our ideal solution, since because the setting isn’t available when editing multiple tracks, it’s very time consuming to apply the setting to more than a few individual songs.
How do we exclude comedy and podcasts, and still emulate the “Shuffle Songs” feature? We simply create a smart playlist like following, and use it instead:
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple Store app update allows purchases from Apple Watch
- Apple releases fifth beta of iOS 10.2 to developers
- Apple reveals cause of unexpected iPhone 6s shutdowns
- Report: 99 percent of fake Apple chargers found to be unsafe
- Apple offering battery replacements for iPhone 6s models with ‘unexpected shutdown issues’ (Updated)
- Report: Fitbit to acquire Pebble
- Apple releases statement on iCloud Calendar spam
- Apple sending out drones to improve Maps data, adding interior building maps
- Tim Cook allegedly tells customer AirPods to ship in ‘next few weeks’
- Apple Pay reportedly launching in Spain tomorrow
- iHome iZBT10 Zenergy Bedside Sleep Therapy Speaker
- Twelve South HiRise Duet for Apple Watch and iPhone
- IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor
- JBL Under Armour Sport Wireless Heart Rate Headphones
- Edifier e235 Luna E Speaker System
- Clamcase ClamCase+ for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Scosche BoomBottle H2O+ Waterproof Wireless Speaker
- Thermos Connected Hydration Bottle with Smart Lid
- Beats Solo3 Wireless On-Ear Headphones
- Creative iRoar Go Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10