Excluding tracks from Genius Mixes
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
I think the new Genius Mix Playlists in iTunes 9 are great, but how can I prevent them from playing holiday tunes and Christmas carols in September?
The simplest way to deal with this is to UNcheck the tracks in iTunes that you do not want to play as part of a Genius Mix or Party Shuffle. iTunes will not play any tracks that are unchecked unless you specifically choose those tracks to play. This includes playback from within any type of playlist, from the normal library browser, or from within a Genius Mix. Further, you can choose whether or not unchecked tracks are synced to your iPod or iPhone, and unchecked tracks are never synced to nor available on the Apple TV.
Note that you can check or uncheck all displayed tracks at once by simply holding down the CTRL key (Windows) or CMD key (Mac) while clicking on a checked or unchecked track; the setting will be modified for all displayed tracks. In combination with the library browser, this can be a handy way to check or uncheck all tracks from a given genre such as Christmas music; simply select the desired genre in the library browser, and then hold down the CTRL or CMD key while clicking on any checked song, and the selected song and all other displayed songs will be unchecked.
Note that this will only affect playback of these tracks in iTunes itself. If you want these unchecked tracks excluded from your Genius Mixes on your iPhone or iPod, you will need to ensure that the option to “Sync only checked songs and videos” is selected in your iPhone or iPod sync preferences in iTunes.
This will prevent any unchecked items from even being synced to your device, which will of course also exclude them from being played back as part of the Genius Mixes on your device.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report confirms legitimacy of at least some of the stolen iCloud credentials being held for ransom
- New (PRODUCT)RED iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone SE, and 9.7” iPad now available to order
- Apple Store down again ahead of new iPad, Product(RED) iPhone launch
- Apple acquires automation app Workflow
- Nintendo updates Super Mario Run, makes more courses available for free play
- Apple confirms iCloud and Apple ID systems have not been breached in response to hacker threat
- Hackers claim to have access to millions of iCloud accounts, demand ransom from Apple
- Apple’s Siri in the running to voice control room functions at Marriott’s Aloft hotels
- Apple releases iTunes 12.6 with new cross-device movie rental feature
- Apple introduces Clips video app
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Pioneer Rayz Plus Lightning Connector Earphones
- BEEM United BeMe D200 Lightning Connector Earphones
- Jam Audio JAM Xterior Max Rugged Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- HiFiMAN Edition S Headphones
- Divoom Timebox Mini Bluetooth Speaker
- iClever BoostSound BTS-09 Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundcast VG1 Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10