Experiment: iPod Video Capture?
Besides software to play 1000 (or 2000) MP3 tracks, and hold vCard format text too, the iPod is a versatile pocket-sized Toshiba 5GB (or 10GB) FireWire Hard disk.
Just what’s needed for editing iMovies, or for use with Final Cut Pro ...to edit video unaffected by, say, a PowerBook’s constant background ‘house-keeping’ reads-&-writes. A suitable external video-capture FireWire disk will generally run more smoothly than the necessarily task-sharing internal Mac hard disk.
I tried using my iPod as a capture disk (after temporarily wiping all music tracks from my iPod) I was greatly underwhelmed: it does NOT do the job!
FireWire’s a fast file-transfer facility - but its speed can be drastically reduced by slow devices attached to it.
Many CD rewriters - the early portable Freecoms, for instance - won’t perform faster with a FireWire interface instead of the slower USB connection. That’s due to the slow CD-RW writing speed knocking down overall performance.
Disks for use with Digital Video must write at a minimum of 3.6MB per second for sustained transfer of video between a camcorder and storage disk. That equates to roughly 1GB storage for every 5 minutes of video. The FireWire interface (theoretical speed up to 50MB per second) easily handles 3.6MB of data transfer, but not all hard disks can receive and store data at that rate.
Capturing DV onto my G3 500MHz FireWire PowerBook’s internal Toshiba 20GB hard disk has never been a problem (nor capturing video onto my external ‘backup’ 20GB LaCie hard drive). But, my iPod captures about 7 seconds of video, then there’s a glitch and the PowerBook screen goes black for a couple of seconds, and then capture resumes. But two seconds of video is lost.
I ran the latest Norton SystemWorks 2.0 “System Info” disk-speed check on my internal hard drive, on my 5GB iPod, on the external 7200 rpm LaCie drive, and on an external Western Digital 5400 rpm 20GB drive.
“And the winner is!” ...my internal hard drive! The iPod’s transfer rate is w-a-y too slow for video editing and the other two disks never matched the speed of my internal drive! (though I had just defragmented the spare space on the internal disk, so that influenced things a tad!).
The internal PowerBook Toshiba hard disc - according to Norton - writes a 1k file at 2594k/sec (just under the DV speed of 3.6mb/sec), does a 4k sequential write at 8133k/sec (that’s 8mb/sec), and a 16k sequential write at 15248k/sec (that’s 15mb per second, far more than fast enough) - whereas my iPod writes a 1k file at 505k/sec (far too slow), 4k at 1971k/sec (still too slow), and 16k at 5520k/sec (that’s 5.5mb/sec which is OK).
The iPod writes at anywhere from a fifth the speed to about one third the speed of my internal hard disk. But it keeps up, above that crucial 3.6MB/sec speed only for short bursts of file-writing, and doesn’t reliably capture more than about 7 seconds before it’s overloaded.
Norton rates the overall performance of my G3 PowerBook internal hard disk above that of a PowerMac G4 500MHz (..surprising, but this old black 256MB FireWire PowerBook always seems speedier than any new white G4 PowerBook I’ve tried!) - but the iPod’s disk is rated scarcely faster than the old PowerBook 3400.
Interface isn’t everything. The iPod is s-l-o-w when it comes to handling video. In iLounge Publisher, Dennis Lloyd’s words: “It’s most likely because of the Toshiba drive in the iPod is made for short bursts of read access. Prolonged read access may damage the drive… continuously spinning the disk may cause heat damage to the disk’s platter.”
Fabulous for MP3, handy for Contacts, but a portable disk for video editing? Forget it!
View past comments on this review in the forums. Commenting on reviews in the forums will no longer be available. Please use the form below to post your comment.
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s 2013 iPad, Air + mini Lineup
- CE Week 2013: The iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac Show Report
- iLounge’s 2013 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone + iPod Gear
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s iPad mini + iPad (4th-Gen)
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Revamped Apple music service not coming until WWDC; new Apple TV later this year?
- Larger iPad production delayed until later this year, USB 3.0 ports to be added?
- Apple, others likely to reach $415M settlement in poaching lawsuit [Update: settlement approved]
- Apple and HBO in talks for ‘HBO Now’ service launch
- Report: Next-gen ‘iPhone 6s’ to feature 2GB RAM, Apple SIM
- Apple looking to settle with electric car battery company
- Apple pushing out fix next week for ‘FREAK’ security flaw
- Report: Apple Watch retail strategy aims to push iPhone sales
- Apple back on top in phone sales for first time since 2011
- Phishing scam targets iCloud credentials of iOS device theft victims
- Gumdrop Cases Drop Tech Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Uniq Aircraft+ for iPhone 6
- Speck MightyShell + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?