Exporting XP Contact Info to Pod via PowerBook | iLounge Article

Article

Exporting XP Contact Info to Pod via PowerBook

Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

Q: I have all my telephone numbers saved in my personal address book under Microsoft Outlook on my office machine running Windows XP. I recently bought a PowerBook. Would it be possible for me to transfer my existing address book from my Windows XP computer to my iPod photo using my PowerBook?

- Sid

A:  If you’re using Outlook, the procedure is a bit long. Click Addresses, then select a contact. Select File > Export > Business Card (vCard), and save the contact as a .vcf file. You’ll need to do this for every one of your contacts. Sigh…

However, there is a program called OutPod that can save all your Outlook contacts in a single vCard file. This is a big time-saver.

Once you have that vCard file, just double-click it on your Mac. Address Book will open and ask if you want to import your contacts. After you have done this, connect your iPod to your Mac and open iSync (this is found in your Applications folder). Check the box to turn on synchronization for your iPod, then check Contacts, and select All Contacts or specific groups, if you have arranged your contacts in groups. Click Sync Now, and your contact info will be copied to the iPod.

Kirk McElhearn is the author of several books including iPod & iTunes Garage. His blog, Kirkville features articles about the iPod, iTunes, Mac OS X and much more.

« Two iPods, One Computer

iTunes and XP SP2 Firewalls »

Comments

Just a couple of other helpful hints for a couple of questions.

You can retain the CDDB data on a burned CD in iTunes, all you have to do is burn a data CD instead of a regular CD. You won’t be able to play the CD in a regular CD player (although a lot of CD/DVD players these days can play data CDs) but you will be able to transfer your music to another machine.

As for transferring Outlook contacts there are a couple of products for Windows that make life a lot easier than the process outlined above. iPodSync is a great tool for synching not only your Outlook contacts, but your calendar, tasks, and even your email. Another program that offers similar functionality is PocketMac (yes it works for windows). Good luck!

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on December 16, 2004 at 6:09 PM (CST)

When I got my 3rd gen 40 gig iPod last year, I began using a work PowerBook for all my music.  Now my library is so large that it is compromising the performance on the laptop and I am being told to move my collection off the PowerBook.  I recently received a Windows XP machine at home, but don’t know how to transfer the song files from the PowerBook to the Windows computer.  Can this even be done?  Can it be done in a way that preserves all of the song names?  I know that trading computer OS’s will reformat my iPod, so I have to do it correctly the first time!!  Help!

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on December 16, 2004 at 9:13 PM (CST)

My ipod does not accept music files marked wma. Is there any way I can dowload these tracks to my ipod? Is there a program I need or what?

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on December 16, 2004 at 10:29 PM (CST)

I have music that was copied from some cds that I owned to my pc. I wanted to download those songs to my ipod but they are wma copy protected. Is there a way to download this music from my pc to my pod?

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on December 16, 2004 at 10:53 PM (CST)

I burn non-data CDs all the time using Media Center with CD Text On. This saves album, artist and song names on the CD. Redular players can play it and audio equipment like car stereos with CD Text features will display the information.

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on December 17, 2004 at 1:28 AM (CST)

CD Text is a special feature of some CD players. Not all CD players will be able to display that information, and I don’t think any computers can.

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on December 17, 2004 at 2:16 AM (CST)

Computers can display CD Text but not through iTunes. And because it isn’t integrated into iTunes I wouldn’t recommend using it. However, here is a list of programs (for the PC and Mac, and even Linux) that can handle CD Text:

Nero Burning
MP3 CD Maker 1.40
CDRWin 4.0
CD-Recorder 4.0.33
WaveBurner Demo
X-CD-Roast 0.96ex
Feurio!

good luck!

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on December 17, 2004 at 8:14 AM (CST)

Help….  I’ve just brought an iPod Photo and am having problems downloading CD’s.  What is the quickest way to do this as I can only do it in ‘real time’ and am also having problems trasferring from iTunes to my iPod?  Thanks

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on December 17, 2004 at 9:03 AM (CST)

Help…. I’ve just brought an iPod Photo and am having problems downloading CD’s. What is the quickest way to do this as I can only do it in ‘real time’ and am also having problems trasferring from iTunes to my iPod? Thanks

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on December 17, 2004 at 9:04 AM (CST)

If I have iTunes recognize music on someone else’s comp in my network, will those songs get sync’d to my ipod?

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on December 17, 2004 at 10:25 AM (CST)

Hadley,

Thanks for the pointer on the CD Text stuff. But those are all CD burning programs, right? So it’s not really like they’re displaying the info as you play back CDs…

Kirk

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on December 17, 2004 at 10:27 AM (CST)

This tells you more than you probably want to know about CD-Text.

There’s a few Windows utils that can display CD-Text (although since you have CDDB/FreeDB why bother?):

Cd-Text Manager (WMP Plugin)

HACP CS Player

CD-TExt Reader

ISOBuster

Feurio (can read as well as write!)

Nero (Using Nero Disk Info or command line “NeroCMD—cdinfo—drivename”)

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on December 17, 2004 at 11:18 AM (CST)

Add to that list J. River Media Center 10. I’ve had friends include CD Text on mix discs burned for me and it works just fine on my computer using Media Center. I never had to input any information.

Under TOOLS-OPTIONS check the USE CD TEXT box.

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on December 17, 2004 at 6:40 PM (CST)

Under TOOLS-OPTIONS check the USE CD TEXT box.

Does MC display CD-Text as well as write it? I thought it could just write.

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on December 17, 2004 at 6:46 PM (CST)

I have a 4th gen 40GB iPod. I recently updated the iPod updater and iTunes.

Very soon after, the iPod just crashed. The micro disk inside kept producing very loud mechanical sounds. Pressing Menu + Play/Pause to troubleshoot it was futile. I understand that I must send this for proper servicing, but does anybody know what may cause this problem?

Thanks

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on December 17, 2004 at 11:28 PM (CST)

Getting a new computer for Christmas! (pc) What is the best way to set up my ipod to work with it with out having to rewrite the entire thing!

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on December 18, 2004 at 7:26 AM (CST)

I own a 40Gig Ipod (Version 2.0.2) and would like to buy a media reader to store digital pcitures.  The Belkin Media Reader supports versions 2.1 and later.  Any recommendations on what to buy?

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on December 18, 2004 at 10:08 AM (CST)

I think the CDDB is also online because I inserted a cd I burned into a computer (Mac) not connected to the internet and the track info wasn’t present. But when I inserted it to another Mac connected to the internet, the track names appeared upon insert. And neither of those computers had those songs ever played on them.

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on December 18, 2004 at 1:01 PM (CST)

I have experienced my iPod not allowing me to access the menu from time to time when I am using the FM transmitter.  All of the other functions will work but I cannot access the menu, I press on the button and nothing happens.  The way I have to handle this problem is by connecting it back to my PC…at length it works again once I’ve synced it.  Is this normal?

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on December 18, 2004 at 8:34 PM (CST)

I have a 2nd gen. iPod. and I am having a problem syncing it with my pc. I use Music Match, when I go to Device Manager, and tell it to sync, by all indication it’s doing it, when the process is complete, I check the iPod and it says songs on iPod 0, capacity of iPod 18.5 GB, available space 4.5 GB. The iPod thinks music is going to it, but nothing is there?  What is wrong with it? A friend was able to put music on the ipod with his computer, I don’t understand why it’s not working on mine.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I’m not computer savvy, so I need help.

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on December 18, 2004 at 9:24 PM (CST)