Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Does anyone offer an external battery that an iPod can dock into offering extended playback times? My 30 GB 5G iPod gives me acceptable battery life, but nowhere near what’s needed for extended uses like airport terminals and longer flights.
A: Yes, there are a number of viable options for iPod battery packs, almost all of which simply connect to the Dock Connector on the iPod and provide power in much the same way as an external AC adaptor or USB cable would.
These battery packs generally fit into two broad categories: Those that are an external rechargeable battery, and those that simply provide an interface for normal consumer replaceable (AA/AAA) batteries. For most purposes, the AA and AAA battery chargers are the most practical, as you can simply buy batteries at any number of convenient locations to replace them with, rather than having to find somewhere to charge an external battery pack.
The extended life offered by these devices varies, of course, but for video playback, a standard four AA battery pack adapter will generally provide an additional 10 hours of audio playback or 3-4 hours of video playback time, on top of the iPod’s internal battery.
It should also be noted that despite connecting to the Dock Connector, these battery packs do not actually charge the iPod’s internal battery, rather they only provide external power to allow the iPod to continue to operate. When using an external battery pack, the power will be drained from the external battery pack first, and the iPod will then switch back over to its internal battery once the external batteries are drained.
You can find more details on the available options in our iPod Battery Reviews section.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: AirPods delay due to problems with wireless audio synchronization
- Apple offering hands-on demos of Super Mario Run in stores
- Report: Apple pursuing studio agreements for early movie rentals
- Apple releases seventh beta of iOS 10.2 to developers
- Apple makes its picks for best iPhone, iPad and Apple TV apps of 2016
- Apple acknowledges Apple Music now includes ‘all the benefits of iTunes Match’
- Apple Music tops 20 million subscribers
- Apple blames ‘external factors’ for iPhone fires in China
- Rumor: 2017 iPhones won’t include glass chassis or wireless charging; will add red color
- Top Apple supplier Foxconn planning U.S. investment
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Sen.se GuardPeanut
- iHome iZBT10 Zenergy Bedside Sleep Therapy Speaker
- Twelve South HiRise Duet for Apple Watch and iPhone
- IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor
- JBL Under Armour Sport Wireless Heart Rate Headphones
- Edifier e235 Luna E Speaker System
- Clamcase ClamCase+ for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10