Extracting files from iTunes
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I am looking to copy tracks, videos, and PDF booklets from my iTunes Library to a file on my drive, for manual backups, file transfer, and other uses. I see there are a lot of programs available that will copy from an iPod to hard drive but not from iTunes Library. Any suggestions?
A: The reason that there are programs to help users extract songs from an iPod to a computer is that Apple doesn’t necessarily want that to become commonplace, as it’s a facility for mass piracy.
However, the files in your iTunes Library are more necessarily already yours, and Apple hasn’t limited what you can do with them at all. In fact, transferring files out of your iTunes Library is easier than you’d think. To do so, either:
- The difficult way: Select the track, video, or PDF booklet you’d like to locate on your hard drive, choose “Get Info” from iTunes’ “Edit” menu, and on the bottom of the “Summary” tab, you’ll find the file’s location on your hard drive. Navigate there in Windows Explorer (PC) or the Finder (Mac), and copy the file to a temporary location for your use.
- The easy way: Select the tracks, videos, or PDF booklets you’d like to copy to another location on your hard drive, and simply drag them out of the iTunes library window and drop them onto your desktop or any other folder in Windows Explorer (PC) or the Finder (Mac). iTunes will automatically place copies of the files in this location, and you’re free to use them without fear of harming iTunes’ copy.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- ‘iPhone 8’ to have curved OLED screen, ditch Lightning port for USB-C across all models
- Apple releases fourth betas of iOS 10.3 + watchOS 3.2 to developers
- Third-party screen repairs no longer void iPhone warranty
- iDevices adds dynamic automation, enhanced scheduling to ‘Connected’ app for HomeKit
- Apple reports that iOS 10.2.1 significantly reduces unexpected iPhone 6s shutdown issues
- Mobiata announces sunset of FlightTrack 5 and FlightBoard apps
- Harman announces first Wireless CarPlay implementation
- Report: Apple still considering several possible wireless charging solutions for ‘iPhone 8’
- Mini Metro adds Endless Mode
- Apple issues statement opposing Trump administration’s rescission of transgender rights
- Soundcast VG1 Bluetooth Speaker
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10