Extracting files from iTunes
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I am looking to copy tracks, videos, and PDF booklets from my iTunes Library to a file on my drive, for manual backups, file transfer, and other uses. I see there are a lot of programs available that will copy from an iPod to hard drive but not from iTunes Library. Any suggestions?
A: The reason that there are programs to help users extract songs from an iPod to a computer is that Apple doesn’t necessarily want that to become commonplace, as it’s a facility for mass piracy.
However, the files in your iTunes Library are more necessarily already yours, and Apple hasn’t limited what you can do with them at all. In fact, transferring files out of your iTunes Library is easier than you’d think. To do so, either:
- The difficult way: Select the track, video, or PDF booklet you’d like to locate on your hard drive, choose “Get Info” from iTunes’ “Edit” menu, and on the bottom of the “Summary” tab, you’ll find the file’s location on your hard drive. Navigate there in Windows Explorer (PC) or the Finder (Mac), and copy the file to a temporary location for your use.
- The easy way: Select the tracks, videos, or PDF booklets you’d like to copy to another location on your hard drive, and simply drag them out of the iTunes library window and drop them onto your desktop or any other folder in Windows Explorer (PC) or the Finder (Mac). iTunes will automatically place copies of the files in this location, and you’re free to use them without fear of harming iTunes’ copy.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iPad Air 3, iPhone 5se expected to be available March 18
- Apple filming original ‘dark drama’ television series featuring Dr. Dre
- Apple under fire for patent infringement from haptic feedback company Immersion
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- VRS Design Crystal Bumper, High Pro Shield + Verge Active for iPhone 6/6s
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!