FaceTime cost between iPhone 4 and iPod touch
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: My aunt has an iPhone 4 and I have a fourth-generation iPod touch. If she FaceTimes me will it cost her any minutes initially while she makes the connection? Also, I have an Apple ID registered on my debit card; since I have nearly zero balance I will shut down the account. Will my Apple ID stop working? I don’t use it to make any purchases—I just needed one for FaceTime.
A: There are no costs associated with placing a FaceTime call between two iOS devices as these calls travel entirely over your Wi-Fi connection via Apple’s FaceTime service—they do not use the cellular voice or data network at all.
Note that if you are placing an initial voice call between two iPhones and then switch to a FaceTime call, you will be charged the minutes for the duration of the voice call, as this acts like any other voice call on the cellular network. Once you switch to FaceTime, however, the voice call ends and you are no longer charged for the time you’re using FaceTime. The iPhone makes this appear completely seamless, but what you’re technically doing is ending the voice call entirely and initiating a new, separate FaceTime call.
Similarly, you do not need to have a payment method associated with your Apple ID in order to use FaceTime, since there are no costs involved. A payment method is only needed if you intend to make purchases using that Apple ID, such as buying apps or music from the iTunes Store or making retail purchases from Apple’s Online Store. Removing or cancelling the payment method will have no effect on your Apple ID or your ability to use it for FaceTime.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple acquires automation app Workflow
- Nintendo updates Super Mario Run, makes more courses available for free play
- Apple confirms iCloud and Apple ID systems have not been breached in response to hacker threat
- Hackers claim to have access to millions of iCloud accounts, demand ransom from Apple
- Apple’s Siri in the running to voice control room functions at Marriott’s Aloft hotels
- Apple releases iTunes 12.6 with new cross-device movie rental feature
- Apple introduces Clips video app
- Apple reveals(RED) iPhone 7, 7 Plus models, doubles storage of iPhone SE
- Apple drops 32GB iPad mini 4, reduces price of 128GB model and discontinues iPad mini 2
- Apple unveils new upgraded entry-level 9.7” iPad, replacing iPad Air 2
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Pioneer Rayz Plus Lightning Connector Earphones
- BEEM United BeMe D200 Lightning Connector Earphones
- Jam Audio JAM Xterior Max Rugged Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- HiFiMAN Edition S Headphones
- Divoom Timebox Mini Bluetooth Speaker
- iClever BoostSound BTS-09 Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundcast VG1 Bluetooth Speaker
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10