FaceTime cost between iPhone 4 and iPod touch
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: My aunt has an iPhone 4 and I have a fourth-generation iPod touch. If she FaceTimes me will it cost her any minutes initially while she makes the connection? Also, I have an Apple ID registered on my debit card; since I have nearly zero balance I will shut down the account. Will my Apple ID stop working? I don’t use it to make any purchases—I just needed one for FaceTime.
A: There are no costs associated with placing a FaceTime call between two iOS devices as these calls travel entirely over your Wi-Fi connection via Apple’s FaceTime service—they do not use the cellular voice or data network at all.
Note that if you are placing an initial voice call between two iPhones and then switch to a FaceTime call, you will be charged the minutes for the duration of the voice call, as this acts like any other voice call on the cellular network. Once you switch to FaceTime, however, the voice call ends and you are no longer charged for the time you’re using FaceTime. The iPhone makes this appear completely seamless, but what you’re technically doing is ending the voice call entirely and initiating a new, separate FaceTime call.
Similarly, you do not need to have a payment method associated with your Apple ID in order to use FaceTime, since there are no costs involved. A payment method is only needed if you intend to make purchases using that Apple ID, such as buying apps or music from the iTunes Store or making retail purchases from Apple’s Online Store. Removing or cancelling the payment method will have no effect on your Apple ID or your ability to use it for FaceTime.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Apple acquires security company LegbaCore
- Zagg to acquire Mophie for $100 million
- Report: iPhone 7 to include flush camera lens, drop rear antenna bands
- Report: iPhone 5se, iPad Air 3 set for March 15 unveil
- Alleged iPad Air 3 drawing shows Smart Connector, four speakers, camera flash
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!