First Looks: iDuo, FlexPed, myTune FM, Portectorz, TruePower 4G & More
Welcome to this week’s First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. If you’re looking for earlier previews, visit our Articles page, where you’ll see First Looks dating back to the 2002 introduction of the 20GB iPod, or take a look at our more recent Sneak Peeks articles from Apple Expo Paris, and in The Free iPod Book. Here’s what’s new for this week:
All Dock Connector iPods
Atech Flash iDuo Card Reader & Dock - Click Here for Details
It’s a good idea: iDuo combines an iPod dock with a flash memory card reader, eliminating the need to clutter your desk with two items. But it requires two separate USB ports, one for iPod and one for the flash reader. Additional ports for S-Video out and line audio out make this the equivalent of an Apple iPod Dock.
Atech Flash KB-Reader & Dock - Click Here for Details
This black USB 2.0 keyboard features a large port on top for one of two attachments, an iPod dock or a flash card reader. The iPod dock is listed as a “bonus” feature.
RadTech Portectorz for iPod, mini and nano - Click Here for Details
If you need to keep a Dock Connector-equipped iPod’s bottom port protected, your options are limited now that Apple doesn’t include plastic guards in its boxes. Portectorz for iPod are an extension of Radtech’s more substantial line of silicone protectors for computer ports, and use silicone rubber to protect the iPod’s bottom port.
Fourth-Generation (Click Wheel) iPods and iPod minis
Tekkeon myTune FM for iPod and mini - Click Here for Details
As one of the largest FM transmitters for the iPod, myTune FM is meant to be mounted on a car’s air vent and connected to its power charger with an included adapter. It broadcasts on a handful of stations, selectable by a button on the bottom.
Thought Out FlexPed Flexible Device Pedestal for iPod and mini - Click Here for Details
Sold with and without SiK’s imp iPod audio output and charging accessory, FlexPed is a car mounting extension of Thought Out’s Ped line of table mounts, and uses the same adjustable holder from Ped 2. As a consequence, you can resize the holder to fit any iPod or iPod mini, with or without a case on.
Fourth-Generation (Click Wheel) iPods
DLO Relaxed Leather Cases for iPod 4G - Click Here for Details
These cases, once called Distressed Leather Cases, are intentionally weathered prior to purchase for a look that DLO describes as “rockstar” and “relaxed.” Different versions are available, some with belt clips, some with detachable wrist straps, and varying in color and use of metal.
FastMac TruePower Battery Upgrade Kit for iPod 4G - Click Here for Details
This 4G iPod version of the TruePower battery promises to extend the per charge run time of a Click Wheel iPod beyond Apple’s original 12-hour stated time, as well as to maintain no less than 70% of its original performance level for two full years. A warranty provides a guarantee of long run time.
A-1 Quality Products iArmor for iPod mini - Click Here for Details
All that’s missing is a padlock. iArmor for the iPod mini is a hard metal rectangular box that will keep your mini’s body (other than its screen and Wheel) impervious to damage. The highly unattractive black version shown here is not the only color - a polished aluminum one is also available.
Power Support Crystal Jacket for iPod shuffle - Click Here for Details
Power Support has been selling Crystal Jackets for every iPod, and now the shuffle gets the treatment with a two-piece slide-open case made from mostly clear (etched) plastic.
Radtech Clear Clip for iPod shuffle - Click Here for Details
We weren’t fans of the original version of this clip, when it was sold as ShuffleClip by a company of the same name, but RadTech has retooled and improved it a bit.
Power Support Cord Gatherer - Click Here for Details
We didn’t initially get the design of Cord Gatherer, but once we looked at the English-language instructions on Power Support’s American web site, it made sense: You can bundle up your headphone cords inside of the small and lightweight Gatherer, then use two plastic pieces to adjust how much of the cord you want to expose. Our photos are sharpened to show how the cord fits inside.
We’ll have plenty more to say on these new iPod accessories in the days to come - and there are some other surprises in store, too. For other great accessories, again, check out the Free iPod Book, available now! Earlier features on Nyko’s Movie Player and iLounge Loves Japan are stil available online, as well.
- Apple Computer iTV / Apple TV First Look
- First Looks: PocketParty V2, Aural Earbuds, Cases for Apple Remote, nano, 5G
- First Looks: Kensington Dock 500/Radio Duo, Icuiti DV920, Belkin TuneBase FM & More
- First Looks Special: Motorola SLVR L7 iTunes Phone (photos inside)
- First Looks: Altec iM3c, SmartShare, OtterBox 5G, Commuter & Mork Mount
- First Looks: Applesauce, Blinkit, EyeTV 2, iM11, iRhythms & More
- Dr. Dre’s ‘The Chronic’ to make streaming debut on Apple Music
- Apple Music roundup: iOS 8.4 to get early Tuesday release, Sonos support on the way
- Apple suppliers now making iPhones with Force Touch
- Parrot announces North American details for new Minidrone lineup
- AppleCare+ now covers battery replacement at 80% of original capacity
- Elton John, Pharrell, Dr. Dre, Drake, St. Vincent, others to host Beats 1 shows
- Apps containing Confederate flag pulled from App Store
- Taylor Swift’s ‘1989’ album to stream on Apple Music
- Apple publishes detailed list of Siri HomeKit commands
- Apple to pay 0.2 cents per song during Apple Music free trial
- Soundfreaq Sound Kick 2 Wireless Travel Speaker
- iHome SoundFlask iBT32 Bluetooth Speaker
- IK Multimedia iKlip Grip
- Misfit Bolt Wirelessly Connected Smart Bulb
- Nomad Stand for Apple Watch
- MyCharge RazorUltra
- Ultimate Ears UE Roll Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Braven BRV-PRO Bluetooth Speaker
- Olloclip Active Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Audiofly AF120 In-Ear Monitors
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?