First Looks Special: DLO mini fm FM Radio & Headphone Amplifier
Weren’t expecting this one, were you? Digital Lifestyle Outfitters (DLO) has just unveiled “mini fm,” which its packaging describes as an “FM Radio and Headphone Amplifier for the iPod mini.” Built in silver as a way to generically complement the various body colors of all iPod mini models, mini fm is a highly professional-looking attachment with five buttons on its top and a pass-through headphone port. A bright blue backlit screen displays the current station.
It’s also substantially smaller than Griffin’s iFM and BTI’s TuneStir FM radio attachments, and does not dangle from a cord, either. Instead, its body fits right on top of the iPod mini, adding less than an inch of extra height while incorporating a nice blue FM tuning screen.
Where’s the battery? There is none; it draws off of the iPod mini’s battery, and flashes its letters when power is low. What about the antenna? Your headphone wires. The unit won’t reliably tune stations without them.
A “mode” button on the left turns the unit on, and switches between FM radio and iPod listening modes. If held down for two seconds, it will turn both itself and the attached iPod mini off. Pressing it again will turn both units back on. Volume is tuned with the plus and minus buttons on mini fm’s top, while tuning is accomplished with the left and right buttons. mini FM tunes from 87.5FM to 108, and our prototype unit actually tunes in super-sensitive .05 increments, something we assume will change in the final production version. It also can do a channel scan to save on button presses.
The “headphone amplifier” feature is accessed by putting the mini fm in iPod mode and then using both the iPod’s and mini FM’s volume controls at the same time. It’s a nice bonus feature - the sort of thing we haven’t wanted to pay extra for, but don’t mind seeing tossed in with a device like this one.
A protective headphone plug cover will be included with mini fm for travel purposes. Otherwise, you’ll leave the bottom extended headphone plug exposed, or keep the unit plugged into your iPod mini on the go.
How does it sound? Our initial testing suggests that it’s roughly comparable to Griffin’s iFM in tuning power, and therefore but we’ll need to run a bunch more tests (and see a final production unit) before we can say anything decisive on this. Though lacking iFM’s recording and remote features, there’s no doubt that mini FM will present an attractive alternative upon its release. Final pricing and availability information have yet to be announced, but mini fm is expected to retail for under $50 and release before year’s end.
- Apple Computer iTV / Apple TV First Look
- First Looks: PocketParty V2, Aural Earbuds, Cases for Apple Remote, nano, 5G
- First Looks: Kensington Dock 500/Radio Duo, Icuiti DV920, Belkin TuneBase FM & More
- First Looks Special: Motorola SLVR L7 iTunes Phone (photos inside)
- First Looks: Altec iM3c, SmartShare, OtterBox 5G, Commuter & Mork Mount
- First Looks: Applesauce, Blinkit, EyeTV 2, iM11, iRhythms & More
- Amazon Video app update lets Prime users download movies, TV shows for offline viewing
- Report: Apple considering move into original programming
- Malware steals 225,000+ Apple account logins from jailbroken iPhones
- Apple announces partnership with Cisco for iOS business users
- Report: New Apple TV to support Bluetooth gaming controllers
- Google releases iOS app that links some Android Wear watches to newer iPhones
- Apple to make Apple Camp program available year-round
- Apple hiring ex-Microsoft employee hints at augmented reality plans
- Judge limits further filings in patent case between Apple and Samsung
- Report: New Apple TV less than $200, arriving in October
- Odoyo KickStand Charging Dock for Apple Watch
- Tech21 Evo Mesh Sport for iPhone 6 and Evo Elite for iPhone 6 Plus
- Thonet & Vander Koloss Bluetooth Speaker
- iHome iSP5 SmartPlug
- Spigen Apple Watch Nightstand S350
- DODOcase Lorna iPhone Wallet Case for iPhone 6 Plus
- SwitchEasy Blocks Customizable Dock Building Set for Apple Watch
- DODOcase Maritime Collection Multi-Angle Case for iPad Air 2
- Kanex iPhone ChargeSync Dock for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Onanoff Sound Cover for iPad Air + iPad Air 2
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?