First Looks Special: Kensington SX2000 Speakers
Fresh at the iLounge labs: Kensington’s SX2000 Speakers ($160), the second iPod speaker system we’ve received that claims support for Apple’s “Universal Dock” standard. Here are a few pictures and details to bring you up to speed before our review.
SX2000 is a flat-panel speaker system based on NXT technology - which we’ve heard in the past, and not been especially impressed by. This particular implementation appears to be better than the last NXT we tested (Monster’s iSpeaker Portable) on audio quality, but still not mind-blowing. In a list of features, Kensington notes that the speaker features “bi-directional” technology (the ability to play audio from its back or front) - put it in the middle of a room and you’ll hear audio from both sides. The rear of the unit also includes a port for auxiliary audio input - devices other than docking iPods can connect through this if you have your own cable.
The SX2000 system is also capable of outputting stereo sound - we’ve tested it and heard it, though the stereo field appears to be shallow, and isn’t being touted as a strength of the device. Rather, Kensington is focusing on iits “superior frequency response (better highs and lows) at higher volumes than similar speaker systems.” We’ll have to see. It’s a 16.2” wide unit, and non-portable, putting it in competition with a lot of other speakers that have recently been released.
A major selling point, potentially, is the unit’s stated compatibility with Apple’s Universal Dock standard, which is designed to let people use plastic inserts that come with all new iPods to guarantee a perfect docking connection. Our unit had mixed results with the Apple Dock Adapters we tested, working properly with most, but not all. Specifically, Dock Adapters 9 and 10 (for 5G 30 and 60GB iPods) would not fit inside the SX2000’s dock. You can still connect a 5G iPod, but the molded Dock Adapter will not be as useful here.
Each SX2000 comes with a wall power adapter, two Dock Adapters (one for iPod mini, and one for 20GB/30GB color iPods), and the speaker unit. An iPod shuffle adapter, called the Accessory Adapter for iPod shuffle, will be sold separately for approximately $20. The SX2000 and Accessory Adapter will be in stores in mid-November and January 31, respectively.
- Apple Computer iTV / Apple TV First Look
- First Looks: PocketParty V2, Aural Earbuds, Cases for Apple Remote, nano, 5G
- First Looks: Kensington Dock 500/Radio Duo, Icuiti DV920, Belkin TuneBase FM & More
- First Looks Special: Motorola SLVR L7 iTunes Phone (photos inside)
- First Looks: Altec iM3c, SmartShare, OtterBox 5G, Commuter & Mork Mount
- First Looks: Applesauce, Blinkit, EyeTV 2, iM11, iRhythms & More
- Malware steals 225,000+ Apple account logins from jailbroken iPhones
- Apple announces partnership with Cisco for iOS business users
- Report: New Apple TV to support Bluetooth gaming controllers
- Google releases iOS app that links some Android Wear watches to newer iPhones
- Apple to make Apple Camp program available year-round
- Apple hiring ex-Microsoft employee hints at augmented reality plans
- Judge limits further filings in patent case between Apple and Samsung
- Report: New Apple TV less than $200, arriving in October
- Apple to drop first-gen Apple TV, iPod classic support as of Sept 8th
- New Apple TV to feature motion sensitive remote
- Tech21 Evo Mesh Sport for iPhone 6 and Evo Elite for iPhone 6 Plus
- Thonet & Vander Koloss Bluetooth Speaker
- iHome iSP5 SmartPlug
- Spigen Apple Watch Nightstand S350
- DODOcase Lorna iPhone Wallet Case for iPhone 6 Plus
- SwitchEasy Blocks Customizable Dock Building Set for Apple Watch
- DODOcase Maritime Collection Multi-Angle Case for iPad Air 2
- Kanex iPhone ChargeSync Dock for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Onanoff Sound Cover for iPad Air + iPad Air 2
- Native Union Clic 360 for iPhone 6
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?