First Looks: Tunewear/Speck nano, On Stage II, UE5EB/3S, Aneta Genova, Contour & More
Welcome to yet another edition of First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. If you’re looking for earlier previews, visit our Articles page, where you’ll see First Looks dating back to the 2002 introduction of the 20GB iPod, or take a look at our more recent Sneak Peeks articles: earlier this week, we covered new cases and car accessorites, and we’ve recently covered new add-ons from Apple Expo Paris, and others in The Free iPod Book. Here’s what’s new for this edition:
Speck Cases for iPod nano - Round 1 - Click Here for Details
The first round of Speck cases for the iPod nano has arrived, and they’re impressive - from the puffy Cloud FunSkin to iGuy for nano, ToughSkin and standard skins, these Kraton plastic shells are eye-catchers. And some of them are really expensive.
Tunewear Leather Cases for iPod nano - Click Here for Details
We weren’t sure how Tunewear’s first iPod nano leather cases were going to turn out, but we are extremely impressed with the ones we’ve received. The nano Prie Ambassador makes more sense than earlier iPod Prie Hooks, and is better sculpted than ever before, and has a really smart detachable belt clip. Similarly, the Tunewallet quite nearly nails nano wallet design, and Tunetag nano almost has us thinking that a luggage tag-styled nano case could work.
Ultimate Ears UE3 Studio - Click Here for Details
The most affordable headset in Ultimate Ears’ line looks a lot like lower-end Shure designs, and comes with a good variety of rubber and foam earpieces, plus a cleaning tool and carrying case.
Ultimate Ears UE5EB - Click Here for Details
We previously looked at and really liked Ultimate Ears’ well-balanced UE5 Pro headphones. The company’s 5 EBs are said to deliver comparable audio quality, but with a strong bass bias - and a very different physical package.
Aneta Genova Soundgear Cases for 4G and mini - Click Here for Details
Famed designer Aneta Genova’s affordable Soundgear cases for 4G and mini iPods break down into two categories: control access, and no control access. Priced under $10, Soundgear designs are intended specifically for sale in Target.
Contour Design Showcase Sport and ToughShell - Click Here for Details
Contour’s Showcase is one of the best hard cases for 4G iPods, and now Showcase Sport refines the design and enhances the locking system. ToughShell evolves the company’s earlier iSee cases with translucent plastic and a better lock.
JBL On Stage II - Click Here for Details
JBL’s now shipping On Stage II, an evolution of the prior-generation iPod charging, syncing, and audio playing dock that now includes an integrated Griffin AirClick remote control. Could this be a smarter alternative to Apple’s new Universal Dock and a separate speaker system?
DLO TransPod - Click Here for Details
The new DLO TransPod (no longer TransPod FM) is a 3-in-1 car charger, mount, and FM transmitter available in three colors (white, silver, and black), and replaces the prior-generation versions we’ve previously reviewed. It trims size and corners from its predecessor for a sleeker look, but includes fewer alternative mounting and charging components. DLO explains that you can cut the foam that comes with TransPod to work with your iPod nano.
We’ll have plenty more to say on these new iPod accessories in the days to come - and there are some other surprises in store, too. For other great accessories, again, check out the Free iPod Book, available now! Earlier features on Nyko’s Movie Player and iLounge Loves Japan are stil available online, as well.
- Apple Computer iTV / Apple TV First Look
- First Looks: PocketParty V2, Aural Earbuds, Cases for Apple Remote, nano, 5G
- First Looks: Kensington Dock 500/Radio Duo, Icuiti DV920, Belkin TuneBase FM & More
- First Looks Special: Motorola SLVR L7 iTunes Phone (photos inside)
- First Looks: Altec iM3c, SmartShare, OtterBox 5G, Commuter & Mork Mount
- First Looks: Applesauce, Blinkit, EyeTV 2, iM11, iRhythms & More
- Some Apple Music and iTunes Match services may be illegal in the U.K.
- Australian banks accused of anti-competitive behavior over Apple Pay lockout
- Happy Thanksgiving 2015 from iLounge!
- Apple reaches deal with UnionPay to bring Apple Pay to China
- DisneyLife subscription-based app launches in the U.K.
- Apple buys motion capture company Faceshift
- Apple CarPlay included in 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage
- Apple aims to launch Apple Pay in China by February
- MasterCard giving Apple Pay users free trips on London’s public transit system
- Apple wins DRM patent case against ContentGuard
- Parrot Hydrofoil Drone
- Apple Pencil for iPad Pro
- IK Multimedia iRig Pro DUO
- CableJive HeroDock
- Phiaton BT 330 NC Headphones
- Ecoxgear EcoPebble Powerbank + Speaker
- Lunatik Taktik 360 for iPhone 6/6s
- Belkin Charge Dock for Apple Watch + iPhone
- SwitchEasy Aero, N+, Nude, Play for iPhone 6s/iPhone 6s Plus
- Netatmo Welcome Smart Home Camera
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?