First Looks: Tunewear/Speck nano, On Stage II, UE5EB/3S, Aneta Genova, Contour & More
Welcome to yet another edition of First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. If you’re looking for earlier previews, visit our Articles page, where you’ll see First Looks dating back to the 2002 introduction of the 20GB iPod, or take a look at our more recent Sneak Peeks articles: earlier this week, we covered new cases and car accessorites, and we’ve recently covered new add-ons from Apple Expo Paris, and others in The Free iPod Book. Here’s what’s new for this edition:
Speck Cases for iPod nano - Round 1 - Click Here for Details
The first round of Speck cases for the iPod nano has arrived, and they’re impressive - from the puffy Cloud FunSkin to iGuy for nano, ToughSkin and standard skins, these Kraton plastic shells are eye-catchers. And some of them are really expensive.
Tunewear Leather Cases for iPod nano - Click Here for Details
We weren’t sure how Tunewear’s first iPod nano leather cases were going to turn out, but we are extremely impressed with the ones we’ve received. The nano Prie Ambassador makes more sense than earlier iPod Prie Hooks, and is better sculpted than ever before, and has a really smart detachable belt clip. Similarly, the Tunewallet quite nearly nails nano wallet design, and Tunetag nano almost has us thinking that a luggage tag-styled nano case could work.
Ultimate Ears UE3 Studio - Click Here for Details
The most affordable headset in Ultimate Ears’ line looks a lot like lower-end Shure designs, and comes with a good variety of rubber and foam earpieces, plus a cleaning tool and carrying case.
Ultimate Ears UE5EB - Click Here for Details
We previously looked at and really liked Ultimate Ears’ well-balanced UE5 Pro headphones. The company’s 5 EBs are said to deliver comparable audio quality, but with a strong bass bias - and a very different physical package.
Aneta Genova Soundgear Cases for 4G and mini - Click Here for Details
Famed designer Aneta Genova’s affordable Soundgear cases for 4G and mini iPods break down into two categories: control access, and no control access. Priced under $10, Soundgear designs are intended specifically for sale in Target.
Contour Design Showcase Sport and ToughShell - Click Here for Details
Contour’s Showcase is one of the best hard cases for 4G iPods, and now Showcase Sport refines the design and enhances the locking system. ToughShell evolves the company’s earlier iSee cases with translucent plastic and a better lock.
JBL On Stage II - Click Here for Details
JBL’s now shipping On Stage II, an evolution of the prior-generation iPod charging, syncing, and audio playing dock that now includes an integrated Griffin AirClick remote control. Could this be a smarter alternative to Apple’s new Universal Dock and a separate speaker system?
DLO TransPod - Click Here for Details
The new DLO TransPod (no longer TransPod FM) is a 3-in-1 car charger, mount, and FM transmitter available in three colors (white, silver, and black), and replaces the prior-generation versions we’ve previously reviewed. It trims size and corners from its predecessor for a sleeker look, but includes fewer alternative mounting and charging components. DLO explains that you can cut the foam that comes with TransPod to work with your iPod nano.
We’ll have plenty more to say on these new iPod accessories in the days to come - and there are some other surprises in store, too. For other great accessories, again, check out the Free iPod Book, available now! Earlier features on Nyko’s Movie Player and iLounge Loves Japan are stil available online, as well.
- Apple Computer iTV / Apple TV First Look
- First Looks: PocketParty V2, Aural Earbuds, Cases for Apple Remote, nano, 5G
- First Looks: Kensington Dock 500/Radio Duo, Icuiti DV920, Belkin TuneBase FM & More
- First Looks Special: Motorola SLVR L7 iTunes Phone (photos inside)
- First Looks: Altec iM3c, SmartShare, OtterBox 5G, Commuter & Mork Mount
- First Looks: Applesauce, Blinkit, EyeTV 2, iM11, iRhythms & More
- Report: New iPhone 6S LTE chip could ‘double’ download speeds
- Cue: New iOS 9 beta coming next week
- iTunes 12.2 release includes support for Apple Music
- Report: iPhone 6S to look ‘nearly identical’ to iPhone 6
- Appeals court: Apple conspired to fix e-book prices
- Apple Music makes subscriptions available through carriers, adds iCloud Music Library
- Apple Music makes much-anticipated debut with iOS 8.4 release
- Apple Q3 earnings call set for July 21
- Iovine: Human curation is key for Apple Music
- Dr. Dre’s ‘The Chronic’ to make streaming debut on Apple Music
- Monk Magnet Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Just Mobile TimeStand for Apple Watch
- Soundfreaq Sound Kick 2 Wireless Travel Speaker
- iHome SoundFlask iBT32 Bluetooth Speaker
- IK Multimedia iKlip Grip
- Misfit Bolt Wirelessly Connected Smart Bulb
- Nomad Stand for Apple Watch
- MyCharge RazorUltra
- Ultimate Ears UE Roll Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Braven BRV-PRO Bluetooth Speaker
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?