Fixing odd album art behavior
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
About half of my songs have album art associated with them. However, I’ve recently found that often when I play a track which has album art associated with it, 4th-generation color-screened iPod displays completely the wrong photo. If I push the center button to display the full screen picture, it may be the correct one, the same (wrong) one as the thumbail, or the photo belonging to a completely different album. The artwork is correct in iTunes, for sure. How can I stop the iPod from doing this?
It should be no surprise to you that we suspect your iPod’s album art database has somehow become corrupted. Thankfully, it’s fairly easy to recreate without having to totally restore your entire iPod.
Connect your iPod and allow any syncing to finish. Then, open the iPod panel in iTunes’ Preferences, and choose the “Music” tab. Unselect the “Display album artwork on your iPod” checkbox and click “Ok.” You will then see iTunes quickly update the iPod, displaying the message “Deleting Album Art from iPod.” Allow this to finish.
Next, return to the same menu item and re-enable the same checkbox. Click “Ok” again. iTunes will now take time to “optimize” the album art for display on the iPod’s screen, and will procede to recreate thumbnail database on the iPod. This will take significantly longer, but when it’s done, you should have properly functioning album art display on your iPod!
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Invoxia adds Amazon Alexa to Triby
- Apple provides more details on new Apple Music API
- Apple Music for Android adds music videos, Family Plan support
- Icahn pulls out of Apple over China concerns
- Apple launches CareKit, with four apps debuting today
- Alleged schematics for iPhone 7 ‘Pro’ show up in Japanese magazine
- Nintendo bringing Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing to iOS
- FBI will not disclose San Bernardino iPhone hack
- Notes from Apple’s Q2 2016 earnings call
- Apple Q2 results: $50.6B revenue, 51M iPhones, 10M iPads sold
- August Doorbell Cam
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Incipio Stashback for iPhone 6/6s
- Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt with HomeKit support
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini 4
- Brydge BrydgeMini II Keyboard for iPad mini 4
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)